Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removing VISTA from dual Vista/XP installation on a Vista based comput

• Please log in to reply

sam321

sam321

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all,

I have 3 questions.

Here is my situation :

1/ I have a Vista x64 based computer (Vista is installed on C: drive)
2/ I installed XP Pro x64 on the D: drive
3/ My HDD looks like this :

¦------------------------------------------¦--------------------------------------------¦--------------------------------------¦----------------------------------------¦
¦dell system partition (78mb) ¦ dell recovery partition (13gb) ¦ Vista on C: drive (200gb) ¦ XP Pro on D: drive (250gb) ¦
¦------------------------------------------¦--------------------------------------------¦--------------------------------------¦----------------------------------------¦

Please note that the dell system partition (78mb) and dell recovery partition (13gb) are hidden and don't really bother me as they are tiny.

Now, XP pro x64 works perfectly, I have no need of Vista anymore, I want to remove it. But, I've done some research and I found this :

source: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529

"Important:
You can only delete the partition where Windows Vista is installed if that partition is the non-active partition on the system. For example, consider the following scenario:

- Windows Vista is installed on drive C. Drive C is partition 1 and is the active partition.
- Windows XP is installed on the drive D. Drive D is partition 2 and is the non-active partition.

In this scenario, you can run the bootsect command, but you cannot delete the partition where Windows Vista is installed. If you delete this partition, the computer is put into a non-bootable state because Windows XP boot files are deleted."

As I see it, on my system, Windows Vista is installed on drive C. Drive C is partition 1 and is the active partition.

My questions :

1/ Am I right about Vista being installed the active partition ?

2/ If yes, is there anyway to delete the Vista partition (or just reformat it) without losing XP Pro ?

3/ If I cannot delete the partition, can I just delete all files in the C: drive (no reformat) without losing XP Pro ?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Sam

Advertisements