Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

settings of my system changed without my knowledge

• Please log in to reply

mstpkr

mstpkr

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hi!please help me.......i'm new out here :)
today as soon as my switched on my comp,i realised that all settings of my computer had changed..like.......the wallpaper, homepage on my browser,and most of the folders on my desktop had dissapeared...i dont know what is happening........ plz help me resolve this problem

Edited by mstpkr, 06 February 2009 - 07:41 AM.

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Your homepage has been changed to something else? And your wallpaper is missing? This sounds very much like the symptoms of an infection. I suggest you follow the steps below first, to see if that helps. If no infections are found, then please come back to this thread. If there are infections, then please post in the malware removal forum.

Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

mstpkr

mstpkr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
:) thank u sari!for replying so fast............
i found that there was adware and i removed it.........but i am not able to get back the files which were lost.................

Edited by mstpkr, 06 February 2009 - 11:30 AM.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Have you followed Sari's instructions? Try that...

mstpkr

mstpkr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i followed the first four steps given in the malware removal forum,before which i removed temporary files using atf cleaner.mbam detected some 69 infected files which i removed.after that i scanned for virus using avast anti-virus....it detected none .........i rebooted my system ........and tried to search for few files which i had lost initially..........i could not recover any..........