Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

It's a Bird, it's a microwave, it's MY COMPUTER!

• Please log in to reply

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi.

Well, the computer sounds like a microwave, seriously. I'm quite sure it is coming from the power supply/it's fan. My parents smoke, so the internals of the power supply have to be extremely dirty. I have cleaned the fan and dust out the best I could with a slightly damp cloth and compressed air, but it really hasn't helped. I've been told not to ever open a power supply up.

So, we are going to buy a new one. My question is...how do I know what power supply will match this computer? (Look lower for detailed specs). I know when you buy an ATX case you need an ATX power supply, right? I don't know what kind of case this is. I understand how to match the plug for the motherboard.

Also, should I buy a power supply with higher wattage or is it not needed?

System specs and possible future upgrades

Dell Dimension 2350, 1.8ghz, 60gb, XP Home SP3 - 256mb Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 (Dual Monitors)

Possible upgrades include: 5.1 surround sound, a third monitor, another 512mb of ram. Maybe a better cpu fan.

How do I know it will match the back of the case?

Is more wattage needed or necessary?

Thanks and I look forward to your suggestions.

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
PSU's for Dells are very expensive. I've only ever made a generic one work on a Dell once or twice. Your best bet would be to see if you can find one on Ebay fairly cheaply (tho even there they can run upwards of $70) What wattage do you have? What are you thinking about upgrading to?

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I would have to open the case up and look...will have time to do that later. I would assume it's just a 250watt or so. I didn't know I would have to get one from dell or a dell model.

I thought I could just go up to the local computer store and go buy a for example 400watt ATX power supply with a 20+4 pin plug or whatever.

Are you saying this computer has some sort of special plug or something? Or, no aftermarket power supplies fit the back of the cases form?

And on second thought...I have some Dell Power Supplies in the basement from when I bought a lot sale...they aren't anything over 250watt though. I dont know what wattage mine is, but I don't want to go backward in watts right? Anyway, maybe one of them will fit.

Thanks for the your help so far...keep in touch.

Edited by JAR300, 06 February 2009 - 11:03 AM.

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

So, we are going to buy a new one. My question is...how do I know what power supply will match this computer? (Look lower for detailed specs). I know when you buy an ATX case you need an ATX power supply, right? I don't know what kind of case this is. I understand how to match the plug for the motherboard.

I believe your computer can take an ATX power supply. I've heard that Dell does not use proprietary PSUs on this model so an ATX should fit.

How do I know it will match the back of the case?

There's really no way of knowing until you open the package and install it. I've searched around and Dell Dimension 2350 takes an ATX PSU. Just make sure that you get one that comes with a 20+4 Pin Connector for the power as your computer might just need a 20 pin.

Is more wattage needed or necessary?

It is not necessary if you're not upgrading the computer to something that will need a lot of power. I'd say a quality built 400W should be enough.

Kamille

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Thank you that seems to help a lot. I think what I can do also is measure the distance of the holes straight across, up and down, and diagonally and the computer store I go to should let me open the box and check for the same distances. Something like that. That sounds interesting LOL.

What does a decent 400watt psu cost you think? Cost of living isn't anything abnormal here.

Thanks,

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
You're looking at around USD $40-$60, some with rebate. You can even go with a 350W just as long as its a quality build like Silverstone, Corsair, Antec, PC Power & Cooling, etc.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Thanks,

That should do it!

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi,

I have some more questions.

I have bought a used Antec True 430w PSU. I will be putting it in the Dell Dimension 2350 that we have been talking about. I also want to rearrange the cooling configuration for the CPU. I want to put a heatsink and fan combo straight on top of the cpu. Right now, it came with that generic set-up where the exhaust fan draws air pass the heatsink via a green funnel contraption :) That's just ridiculous if you ask me. But I'm a noob.

Here is a Foxcon and a Masscool heatsink and fan combo. Can you tell me which one you think is better. They look about the same to me. If you notice, I'm not looking to spend much.

This whole project is just to make what currently exists QUIETER, COOLER, and CLEANER (nicotine and smoke damage) Overall Better!

I am also looking at some case fans, but I don't know what size fits the back of the 2350. The screw holes measure about 53mm across...and the current fan is set into a plastic housing that clips onto the back of the case. I may have to inspect further inside of the case if I can just reuse that plastic housing to mount a fan on it...or if I can find one to screw directly onto the back of the case. Rather screw directly on.
Do you know how I am supposed to know which one I buy? Or, are they all Universal sizes?

Here is a list of ones I'm looking at on geeks.com

Also, I am thinking of upgrading the CPU. Here are the Socket 478's (Refurbished) I can always go back to the old one if the refurbished one dies on me. Will an 800mhz, work with my motherboard? The specs for the motherboard say it supports 1.8ghz 2.0ghz etc etc, but at 400mhz. Does that have to match the cpu? 800mhz/533mhz? Hope you get what I'm asking. This would add FASTER to my list of GOALS

Another question, I noticed the PSU I have bought specs say that the molex 4 pin connectors will control the speed of the fans, but the heatsink and fan combos are all 3pin(I guess connecting to the motherboard) First question about this, does my motherboard have a connector for a 3pin? Secondly, do they make cpu fans that connect to a molex 4 pin? Take a look at all the connectors for my power supply and/or motherboard and please educate me on what I can do. I would like to have the fans speed vary with temperature if possible.

In all, I want a heatsink and fan combo just for the cpu. Then, attach a new exhaust fan just for overall cooling. And, have these fans speeds controlled by the NEW PSU or motherboard (However that works). If possible, upgrade the cpu, but from what I know, those bus speeds don't match up and I don't know where I can buy a cheap 478 thats 400mhz. Probably not even worth upgrading it then?????

Sorry for the long post, I'm a noob and don't know much yet! :)

Thanks,

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello Ferrari
Just adding a little information for you all about power supply's i stumbled across...
H = High Quality (Good Solid Reliable Brand)
L = Low Quality (Cheap Generic)
M = Medium Quality (In-between)
U = Unknown

A-Power................L
A-Top..................L
A+GPB..................L
AcBel..................L
AC Ryan (Ryanpower)....L
Aerocool...............U
AG.....................L
Ahanix.................L
Akasa..................L
Allied.................L
Antec..................M/H
AOpen..................L
APC....................L
Apex Allied............L
Aspire.................L/M
Astec..................L
Athena.................L
BFG....................L
Broadway Gaming........U
Channel Well...........L
CHAS...................L
Chenbro................U
Chieftec...............L
Coba...................L
Codegen................L
Conrad.................M
CoolerMaster...........H
CoolMax................M
Crystal................L
Dell...................L
Delta..................L
Diablo.................L
Eagle..................L
Echo Star..............L
Enermax................H
Engleking..............M
Enlight................M
Epson..................L
FDK....................L
Fortron (FSP)..........H
Gateway................L
Gazelle Multimedia.....L
Global Marketing.......L
GPower.................L
Guardian...............L
Herolchi...............M
Hipro..................L
HP/Compaq..............L
HPC International......L
Huntkey................L
I-Star.................L
IBM Redundant..........U (expensive)
Intel Redundant........U (expensive)
In Win.................L
Jaguar.................U
Jantech…………..L
Kensington.............L
Kingwin................L
L&C....................L
Leadman................L
Levicom................L
LiteOn.................U
Logisys................U
Mad Dog................L/M
Maxtron................L
MGE....................L
MGE Vortec.............M
MorningStar............L
NEC....................L
Newton.................L
Nexus..................L
Noise Magic............L
NorthQ.................M
Nspire.................L
OCZ....................H
Omega..................L
Packard Bell...........L
PC Power & Cooling.....H
PC-World (PCW).........L
PCMCIS.................U
Power..................L
PowerStream............L
PowerTek...............L
PowerUp................L
PowMax.................L
PowMax XPower..........L
Premium................L
Pyramid................L
Q-Tec..................L
Q-Technology...........L
RaidMax................U
Real Power.............L
Rosewill...............L
SCS....................L
SeaSonic...............H
Shuttle................L
Silent Purepower.......U
SilenX.................L
Silverstone............H
Sky Hawk (Eagle Tech)..L
Sparkle................H
Star Micronics.........L
StarTech...............L
Sun....................L
SuperFlower............L
Supermicro.............L
Tagan..................H
Task...................L
ThermalTake............M
Topower................L
Tri-Mag................L
TSP....................L
Tyan Tiger.............L
TTGI...................L
Ultra-Power Computer...L
Ultra..................M
Ultra X-Connect........L
Vantec.................H
Verax..................H
Vigor..................U
Xion...................L
xPCgear................L
Zalman.................H
Zippy..................L

Quote: " here are some to avoid like the plague ,ATX Power Supplies - Brands from A to Z "

Taken from : http://www.techsuppo...otherboard.html

Hope this will help your decision on the brand of the power supply :)

Best Of Luck!!!
&
Happy Computing

Anthony19

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Anthony,

Thanks...I'm glad to see the power supply I bought was on the medium to high side lol. Kamille earlier in this post gave a list of coommon reliable brands too.

Thank you.

Anyone have suggestions for my previous questions about upgrading cpu fan and case fan, etc?

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

I also want to rearrange the cooling configuration for the CPU. I want to put a heatsink and fan combo straight on top of the cpu. Right now, it came with that generic set-up where the exhaust fan draws air pass the heatsink via a green funnel contraption :) That's just ridiculous if you ask me. But I'm a noob.

Here is a Foxcon and a Masscool heatsink and fan combo. Can you tell me which one you think is better. They look about the same to me. If you notice, I'm not looking to spend much.

That funnel contraption you're seeing is a normal setup, what it does is that it blows the warm air that comes from the processor directly outside. This means that the warm air does not stay inside the case thus making it the inside a bit cooler.

To me I'd say go with the Masscool as it moves more air.

I am also looking at some case fans, but I don't know what size fits the back of the 2350. The screw holes measure about 53mm across...and the current fan is set into a plastic housing that clips onto the back of the case. I may have to inspect further inside of the case if I can just reuse that plastic housing to mount a fan on it...or if I can find one to screw directly onto the back of the case. Rather screw directly on.
Do you know how I am supposed to know which one I buy? Or, are they all Universal sizes?

Here is a list of ones I'm looking at on geeks.com

I think to be able to determine what size of case fans you need, you have to measure the holes diagonally, not across. This is just a guess though because in monitors, when someone say its 19", that's measured diagonally, and I'm thinking it would be the same thing here.

Also, I am thinking of upgrading the CPU. Here are the Socket 478's (Refurbished) I can always go back to the old one if the refurbished one dies on me. Will an 800mhz, work with my motherboard? The specs for the motherboard say it supports 1.8ghz 2.0ghz etc etc, but at 400mhz. Does that have to match the cpu? 800mhz/533mhz? Hope you get what I'm asking. This would add FASTER to my list of GOALS

If your CPU has a higher FSB than the motherboard can support, I believe that it will still work but will run at half speed.
I looked around and this is the CPU that your motherboard can support:

The maximum processor the 2350 supports, is a Socket 478, Northwood, P4, 2.80GHz 400MHz FSB, 512K cache.

Another question, I noticed the PSU I have bought specs say that the molex 4 pin connectors will control the speed of the fans, but the heatsink and fan combos are all 3pin(I guess connecting to the motherboard) First question about this, does my motherboard have a connector for a 3pin? Secondly, do they make cpu fans that connect to a molex 4 pin? Take a look at all the connectors for my power supply and/or motherboard and please educate me on what I can do. I would like to have the fans speed vary with temperature if possible.

To have varying temperatures for your case fans, you will need something like a fan controller. Most use the 5.25" bay.
The PSU doesn't control your fans, it simply powers them, some case fans however come with a switch where you can turn them on/off or change the speed. I think its a good idea to connect the CPU fan to the motherboard (if you have the 3-pin connector, not sure if you do) so that the motherboard can detect it. Some BIOS have settings for the CPU fans where if its not functioning correctly (which overheats your CPU) that it will do certain actions that you have set.

Maybe wait for someone else to chime in just in case some of my suggestions are not correct.

Kamille

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Kamille thank you,

I'm still new so it just makes me feel better before I buy online to have someone confirm some things.

If your CPU has a higher FSB than the motherboard can support, I believe that it will still work but will run at half speed.

I was thinking the same thing.

Can anyone confirm what Kamille said about how to find out what size fan you need? That would really help me out now and in the future.

Thanks!