Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OLE32.dll issues (Not found)

• Please log in to reply

daisychick3299

daisychick3299

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Upon trying to get on my laptop earlier, Windows would not load. It was at the Windows screen but just stayed there and would not do anything. So I turned it off and attempted to restart it again. No luck. Tried safe mode. No luck. I keep getting a message that says winlogon.exe could not start because ole32.dll was not found. Then it said lsass.exe could not start for the same reason. After some googling, I tried running checkdisk from the recovery console and there were errors found on the hard drive. I assumed it also repaired but maybe not? Upon restarting again, I was able to get a little further after getting the same two messages again, but was then told my user profile could not be loaded and they would open a generic one. This failed due to userinit.exe and explorer.exe not loading, once again because ole32.dll was not found. I just bought an external hard drive and was going to back up my files TODAY of all days, and cannot get Windows to load. I am sick to my stomach at the thought of losing the precious pictures of my children. Can anyone advise me on what to do next? Thanks so much!

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
First of all backup your data. I am sure that it isn't lost. Second, try to restore the computer to an earlier date. To backup your data:

Download Puppy Linux from my list of links below. Download "puppy 2.16.1 seamonkey fulldrivers.ISO". Burn the ISO file to create a bootable CD. For this purpose you can download BurnCDCC from the links below. It's a very simple tool, used exclusively to burn ISO files.

Insert the disk into the CD/DVD drive and boot the computer. Use the default setting except for choosing screen resolution of 600x800 when given the option to do so. After the program is loaded click the icon that looks like flash disk. This will open the file system and will enable browsing your folders. Find the folders that you want to backup, copy and paste them to another storage device.

If the computer doesn't boot, please set boot order in the BIOS so that the CD drive is first priority boot device.

Since you can't boot the computer in any mode I suggest that you try to restore using the recovery console:

System Restore from the Recovery Console. {adapted from Geeks to Go. Original source unknown to me}. Xp installation CD required. Boot with the CD and when given the option choose to repair the computer by pressing "R", opening the Recovery Console. Type 1 when asked for OS installation (assuming there is only one OS installed). Type the administrator password when asked to do so and press Enter. Press Enter if there is no password.

* At the prompt Type: CD \
* Press Enter
* Type: cd system~1\_resto~1
* Press Enter
* Type: dir
* Press Enter

After you press enter you will see a list of folders (like rp1, rp2) If the list of restore points has more than one page then press the Enter key untill you reach the end of the list

* Type: cd rp {number of the second to last folder in the list). Example: cd rp9, if rp9 is the second to the last restore point where the last restore point no. is 10
* Press Enter
* Type: cd snapshot
* Press Enter
* Type: copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system
* Press Enter
* Type: copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software
* Press Enter
* Type: Exit
* Press Enter

Your PC will reboot.

If you get an access denied error when doing the above, then do the following at the recovery console:

* Type: CD \
* Press Enter
* Type: cd windows\system32\config
* Press Enter
* Type: ren system system.bak
* Press Enter
* Type: Exit
* Press Enter

Your PC should reboot

If you still cannot get access in anyway to your installation in the recovery console then your SAM database files are corrupt. There is no way you can restore these with the recovery console. You may need to do a fresh install.

daisychick3299

daisychick3299

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I am in the process of doing this right now, and I will be sure to come back and let you know if I succeeded or not, but I wanted to thank you for your time and expertise. You guys are truly a God send!

daisychick3299

daisychick3299

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I cannot figure out how to make this thing recognize my portable hard drive, so I am unable to copy my files to it. What am I doing wrong?

daisychick3299

daisychick3299

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
So, while awaiting the answer to why I can't access my external drive, I decided to go ahead and do the restore point part. No luck. Sigh. I'm beginning to think this is hopeless.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Did you manage to boot all the way with the Linux? Is it after bootup that you can't identify the external drive? Does it identify the other drives? Also, insert the device before you start the computer and then boot.

Edited by The Skeptic, 06 February 2009 - 02:41 PM.

daisychick3299

daisychick3299

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Yes, it identifies my hard drive and my cd drive, just no external drive.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Is there another USB port on your computer? Please try to move the external drive to the other port. Do you have a flash memory storage device (pen drive)? If yes, please connect it and see if it is recognized by Linux.

daisychick3299

daisychick3299

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I plugged it into a new usb before restarting Windows and still nothing on the drive list. I have a flash drive somewhere, but I've not located it yet. Would I be able to use a USB cable to hook the laptop up to another computer and use puppy Linux to copy the files to the new computer?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
This new USB drive that you used: it it brand new? have you tried it on another computer? Was it recognized there in My Computer?

What you asked about connecting to another computer cannot be done. If linux won't work then there are few other options.

1: Run a windows repair installation. You can find a link for instructions in my list below. Be very careful to understand what you do. A mistake there can wipe off all your precious data.

2: Remove the hard disk from the laptop and use a special USB adapter to connect it to another computer. These adapter cost about 20-25$ and require a level of skill to remove the hard disk from the laptop.

Advertisements

daisychick3299

daisychick3299

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
It was used on the laptop that I am having problems with. I had transferred my music files to it, and I was going to do the picture files today since I had a little bit of time to mess around with it. Of the two options you gave me which one do you recommend? I have replaced the hard drive in this laptop before so I have some experience removing them, so the removal isn't a problem for me.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You emphesize the importance of the pictures that's why I would try a backup before anything else. My impression is that you are quite capable, and I would recommend taking the disk out. Either buy the adapter I mentioned (you can buy it in any computer store) or take the hard disk to a technician tp perform the backup. I don't think it will cost you much (but I don't know what prices are where you live).

Regarding windows repair: this is quite an unreliable process which often fails . As a matter of fact I hardly ever use it prefering clean format. Your documents are supposed to be left intact but, no matter what, I would back them up first.

daisychick3299

daisychick3299

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Well, I've figured a couple things out. The reason Linux is not working for me as far as copying to the external drive goes is because it is in Xvesa mode and not Xorg. For whatever reason, I cannot run it in Xorg mode and the peripherals are not on in Xvesa mode. I went out to buy a hard drive adapter, but had no luck finding one locally. (one of the joys of living in the middle of nowhere) I did discover I can burn dvd's from within Linux but it is a slow, laborious effort that runs me into frequent errors. So, for now, I am going to try to find an adapter and if that fails, I will copy the folders bit by bit until I'm done. I'm too scared to attempt the repair installation.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Open this link and you will see what this adapter is. Google for "USB to IDE adapter" and you will get lots of links to similar products.

Regarding Linux: you are correct when you say that you should work in XORG mode. I wonder why it doesn't run. I tried it in my place and it worked perfect.

I hope (actually I am quite sure) that you will be able to recover your pictures.

daisychick3299

daisychick3299

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Am I correct in thinking this is basically the same thing but with a nifty little case to protect the drive?