Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with Screen Resoultion!

• Please log in to reply

tylerscool

tylerscool

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I recently upgraded my ATI Hd raedon 3650 to GTX 260 and will soon upgrade to the GTX 285 as soon as my EVGA step up goes through. I have a monitor 1080P that i have used and its like 26-32 inches im not sure. I used to be able to change my screen resoultion higher then 1360X 768 but i didnt because of the terrible video card i had, now since putting in new video card it cannot go higher then that resoultion. Also when i try my other monitor that used to go higher then 1280X... it would work, now with the new video card it doesn't. Is there something i can configure to fix this, i have tried show modes this monitor can't display still no luck. Please help becuase i want to put this video card to its full potiental.

Advertisements

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
The maxumum resolution from a GTX 260 or 280 graphics card is way less than you expect ! :)

Max res is 2560 x 1600 from a dvi connection and 2048 x 1536 from a vga.

I have 2 quad core pcs, one with an ATI 4870, and one with an Nvidea 9600GT. I also have a brand new 26" monitor and the maximum resolution i can get out of either card is 1920 x 1200.Its the monitor size that dictates the resolution, , NOT the graphics card.

Graphics cards automatically detect what size monitor screen is being used and sets up the maximum resolution in its control centre , , whatever it says in its control centre is the true maximum.

I cannot speak for people who run 2 cards in SLI or crossfire configuration , , maybe that will allow much bigger reslolutions to be used, , but for a single card , , the above maximums appear to be the norm !

With vista, go to control panel, , select personalisation, the at the bottom, click on display settings. From there you will see a slider and that will allow you to move it and try/test different resolutions, , however, , whatever it says is the maximum, , is the maximum !

Good luck , , kev

Edited by rxkevco, 15 February 2009 - 04:51 PM.