Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How Do I Install a New Wireless Card?

• Please log in to reply

periwinkle

periwinkle

• PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
Hello Friendly Geeks-to-Go,

So I just bought a Gateway 5694 in September of 08, and it has wireless capability, so I moved the computer into a different room than my DSL modem. For the last several months I've put up with bouts of losing connection. I called my ISP and explained the situation to them. They tried many different things, including changing the channel on the modem. Sorry if this doesn't make a lot of sense, but it has been at least 2 months since I called them for help. In the end, we decided that it must be something in the computer that was at fault. So I called Gateway, and since the computer is under warranty, they sent me a wireless adapter (I think it's called an adapter). It's the card that makes my computer able to connect to my DSL modem from another room.

Lately, I keep losing connection. More than usual. It is a real hassle, as it can take 15 minutes or more to connect again. Plus, I find that I lose connection often while doing other non-net things, and then I have to spend several more minutes trying to connect, only to lose the connection again in a couple of minutes.

I decided it was finally time to install the card Gateway sent me. I had been putting it off because I'm a little afraid to touch the thing, as I don't want to destroy it with my oils, static charge, etc. Also, I don't know where it goes!!! I turned off my computer, unplugged it, and opened it up, but I could not figure out where to put the little bugger. Now, I will say that I have been able to install a second hard drive in a different computer, so I'm not totally unfamiliar with the inside of a computer, but this thing has me baffled.

I think it's more that I simply couldn't find anything that looked like a slot of the right size for this card.

I searched the web on Google for "how to install a wireless card", but all I find are videos on how to replace cards on laptops. I have a desktop, it runs Vista. When I called Gateway about the problem, they told me I could send my computer to them, and it would take 2 weeks to repair, or they could send me the card and I could do it. Well, 2 weeks is just not possible, as I operate a business with this computer. I do not have a second computer. Just starting up here.

Please, can you direct me to a video on how to install this card? I can send a picture of it, if that will help. The card is 2 1/2" x 1 1/4". Any videos or pictures you can show me would be a great advantage!

Thanks!

Advertisements

FadeToBright

FadeToBright

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
This should help significantly. I'm assuming they sent you a PCI card with will have to be installed internally.

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
Thanks, Fade to Bright, but I've already watched this video, and my card is very small. The slot I see available is very long. I really think pictures will show a whole lot more.

The video shows a very long card which fits into the available slot. The slot I remember seeing is long in my computer, but nowhere near the back of the case, like they show in the video. My card is too short to fit into the slot, unless short cards fit into long slots somehow.

I still need help.

FadeToBright

FadeToBright

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Well, I am unsure of which card they sent you. Any way you could take a picture??