Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

ActiveX

• Please log in to reply

Carricklady

Carricklady

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I followed Geeks To Go malware and protection tutorials and downloaded all recommedations, which worked like a dream! Tried to re-install ActiveX from their site but just keep getting same page repeating when I press 'download now'. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts

I followed Geeks To Go malware and protection tutorials and downloaded all recommedations, which worked like a dream!

Great! :)

Tried to re-install ActiveX from their site but just keep getting same page repeating when I press 'download now'. Any suggestions?

What site? What browser are you using? (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, etc...)

--
piano9playa5

Carricklady

Carricklady

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks so much for responding. This really is a brilliant site.
I use AOL9 my son uses IE browsers on Windows Vista Home. Have tried both browsers and neither would install. So I did a system restore to a date from last week (before I uninstalled Active X following virus) and uninstalled and reinstalled all the malware & protection from the Geeks to go tutorial. I now have Active X in my programme list but it won't work on either browser. I've noticed that 'customer reviews' on shopping sites like Amazon are also being blocked.

In case it helps, the recommended software protection I downloaded (after which ActiveX stopped working) was
Superadblocker.com (I am a subscriber)
Superantispyware
SpywareGuard
SpywareBlaster
MalwareBytes
Sunbelt Firewall
I also have an active subscription to AVG8

Thank you SO MUCH for your help!

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts

In case it helps, the recommended software protection I downloaded (after which ActiveX stopped working) was...

It does help, thanks. :)

What is the name of the ActiveX please?

--
piano9playa5

Carricklady

Carricklady

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
:) Thank you for your reponse and help. I think ActiveX it's in Adobe Flashplayer, but I deleted all the Adobe software and reinstalled it from the Adobe website link from Geeks to Go (32bit so not the JRE version). Adobe Flashplayer downloaded fine this time, no idea why. I have re-scanned the computer with all the new protection and changed the IE security settings to 'Prompt' for Active X.'
Before flashing ads and banners were blocked on IE but kept appearing on AOL (I have 9 months contract to run then I'm cancelling AOL).
NOW I HAVE NO ADS ON EITHER IE OR AOL BROWSERS!!! LIFE IS FANTASTIC MY COMPUTER WORKS PROPERLY FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MONTHS. THANK YOU GEEKS TO GO.

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
Well, I would assume that the ActiveX got removed during the malware removal process because it was bad and wasn't legitimate.. To add to this theory, you now have SpywareBlaster installed, which blocks malware-related ActiveX's from being downloaded and installed to the computer.. (and maybe run, I'm not sure)

We don't want to see you in the malware removal forum again, so let's just make sure...

Can you confirm that the ActiveX is legitimate? If you're on a bad site, than the ActiveX is most likely a fake, and you are being scammed into downloading a malicious file...

Carricklady

Carricklady

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Uh oh I spoke too soon! I wasn't sure how to check if it is a legitimate Active X. I downloaded Adobe Flash Player 10 Active X from the Adobe.com/flashplayer website. I just went to Start/All Programmes to see if I could check if it was legitimate and it wasn't on the list! So I opened Control Panel/uninstall change programmes and it was on that list. I clicked to repair it and accidentally deleted it. What a dum dum!

Sooo... I went back to Adobe.com/flashplayer to download it again and it won't let me! I tried temporarily cancelling the IE/Tools/SecurityActive X checkmarks that I changed after reading the Malware tutorial. No luck - when I try to download I keep getting adobe.com/flashplayer/trigger1 telling me to click on the gold taskbar but there isn't one.

Sorry to be a pain. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks ever so much for your help again.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Administrator
  • 20,955 posts
  • MVP
Carricklady,

It's possible that it's still there, but has been disabled. I've had that happen to legitimate ActiveX controls before (Microsoft updates have made legitimate ActiveX controls disabled - explain that one!). Anyone, in IE, go to Tools > Manage Add-ons, then select Enable/Disable Add-ons. It will bring up a list. At the top, there's a drop down box that will allow you to show either Add-ons or ActiveX controls. Make sure Add-ons is selected - Flash player should appear as an add-on. If it's disabled, it will be listed separately under the heading Disabled. Highlight it, and then select the radio button at the bottom that says Enable. Click Ok and see if that works.

Carricklady

Carricklady

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello Sari
Thank you so much for your help. :) :)
IE/Tools/Add-ons have Active X listed and enabled, but Flashplayer isn't listed, neither is it listed on Start/All Programmes. However Flashplayer is listed in the Control Panel install/uninstall programmes list and it is working in both IE and AOL Browsers now!
Thank you so much again. :)
Carricklady.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Administrator
  • 20,955 posts
  • MVP
Great - I'm glad it's all sorted out now :)

Carricklady

Carricklady

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Uh-oh! IE working perfectly, no pop ups or animated media. Flash player working in both IE & AOL (AOL is my contracted e-mail provider for another 9 months unfortunately)
However, when checking e-mail (family has 5 different addresses) in AOL Browser the darn thing has animated media pop-ups back. Have run malware, adblocker, spywareblaster & AVG scans. Also blocked as many pop-ups & animated media as AOL 9 allows me to. All results are clear so just don't know how to permanently stop the AOL-jacking-ads.
Maybe I should just log in via IE.