Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CMOS Checksum Error

• Please log in to reply

quintessenceanx

quintessenceanx

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hello,

I currently have an ASUS A8N5X 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard in my computer. I recently moved, but in the few months between my last place and my current one my computer was stored by my brother (rest of my stuff was in storage). The only thing I have changed since the move is the chassis (to an Antec 900), and I know everything is connected properly (I double checked). When I tried booting my computer for the first time since the move (earlier today), I received the cmos checksum error that I indicated in the topic. Initially I decided to try F1 (revert to default), but when the computer (appeared to) completed POST it froze. So then I tried booting with a Linux disk (currently installed on my computer is Windows XP and Ubuntu Linux, using the GRUB bootloader) and it started normally, but indicated that my system time was incorrect. I tried setting it through Ubuntu, synchronized it with the local time, and tried booting again. I entered the BIOS to see if the system time had in fact changed, it had not. So I manually changed it to the local date and time and tried to boot again. It still froze at the end/immediately after POST (it doesn't go anywhere after the last device pops up). Currently all I have in there is one graphics card and three hard drives. The BIOS indicated that the RAM was fine. I'm not really sure what to do at this point, when I researched the issue it indicated that I may have a corrupt BIOS or a depleted battery. I'm not sure how to remedy either case, and I am wondering if the reason the battery could have depleted is because the computer was not plugged in while it was at my brother's house for a few months. Help?

Thanks!

Edited by quintessenceanx, 07 February 2009 - 02:34 PM.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
You should be able to see the battery on the motherboard, so you might try replacing that.

Since you moved, you might also try gently pressing on all the ICs which are in sockets, just to make sure that one did not come a bit loose with the moving.

quintessenceanx

quintessenceanx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thanks for the suggestions! I opened her back up and followed your suggestions to no avail (after swapping the battery instead of hanging during POST the checksum error reappeared). I also left the battery out for >10 minutes because I saw that as a suggestion somewhere. The only other suggestion I've seen is that it is probably a corrupted BIOS, and although I've found the latest BIOS revision on ASUS's website I am not sure how to get the latest revision on there since the computer doesn't get past POST. I know that certain pieces of hardware allow users to "hard flash" using a DOS floppy diks, but I'm not entirely sure how to do that in this case.

PS The hard drives appear to be functioning normally otherwise.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
There should be a means of reseting the CMOS settings, typically by installing a jumper. The manual should tell you how to do that. If that does not work, you might want to try reinstalling the BIOS, but that could be risky if there is a problem with the system.