Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hello from me!

• Please log in to reply

mister_steve

mister_steve

• Pip
  • 0 posts
Hi folks,

As I suspect most people do, I found your forums because of a problem I have with my pc. More on that in a tick..

I just tried logging into your chat room, and was refused entry due to my user name?? Tried changing it... no joy. Anyway...

I hope my issue is a simple one, and perhaps I am being a bit of a moron, because I can't find a solution on here!

I am trying to re-install AVG 8 free on my partners computer (running Vista home premium). She had it on there for a while, not too sure why, but she has removed it and tried to reinstall. Now, upon installation we get a message stating "installation failed!" with the following details

Local machine: installation failed
Installation:
Error: Action failed for file avgmfx86.sys: starting service....
Error 0x80070002

I have used registry cleaners as advised on another forum, to no avail. I have tried using the AVG uninstaller to ensure all AVG files are removed. No joy. I've tried using 'perfect uninstaller' program, just to ensure AVG isn't still somewhere on my system. I keep getting the same error message.

There is no restore point set up on this PC, unfortunately, so can't return to a previous setup.

I'd really appreciate some help, as all the advice I've read elsewhere so far (others are clearly having the same problem) doesn't help and we don't currently have any anti virus installed on this PC.

Many thanks in advance...

Steve

Advertisements

taz09

taz09

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi mister_steve :)

I still think the problem is that you have not completely removed all the files.

You said that you have Registry cleaner and other program removal apps. Did you
run a search using the keywords "AVG" and "Grisoft" instead of only "AVG"?

Maybe have a try with THIS and use the keywords mentiooned above :)

OR...you could try this. I found it in another forum and it did the trick:

Check your hard drive for file/system errors by running chkdsk. Open My Computer and right click on Local Disk C: selecting Properties, click the Tools tab and in the Error Checking area click the "Check now" button and select "Automatically fix file system errors". It will tell you that it can't test the drive right now and it will ask if you want to schedule it for the next system startup... select Yes. Restart your computer so that it can check the drive.

I hope this helps you :)

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Unfortunately, AVG 8.0 has been having problems, installation problems included.
I suggest, you forget it, and go for one of these:

- Avast! free antivirus: http://www.avast.com...avast-home.html
- Avira free antivirus: http://www.free-av.c...load/index.html

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
AVG issues can be solved by running the installation program again (or downloading from Grisoft) and choosing the Repair option.
Restart the computer and then you'll be able to go back to Add/Remove Programs (XP) or Programs and Features (Vista) to uninstall it.

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
I would suggest you follow Broni's advice and choose a different AV..

If you or your friend is dedicated to AVG, at least wait until most of the AVG8 errors get resolved.

:)