Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AGV safe surf is gone

• Please log in to reply

butterflygirl70

butterflygirl70

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello, I have the free version of AGV installed on my computer, and it's always been really great with scanning my emails and not letting too much crap through, and also when you google search a topic, usually I see big green checkmarks beside all the serches that are safe to go to. But now for some reason when I google search something it has grey question marks beside all the links, and as for my email, so far today I've deleted about 25 junk emails! I went in to my AGV and it still says email scanner is active, and link scanner is active. I'm not sure why these things are happening. Does anyone have any advice on that? :)

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
AVG Link Scanner is known for seriously slowing your surfing speed down.
Email scanner doesn't protect you against spam. For that purpose, you use email program filters. Email scanner is there to protect you from possibly infected files (like attachments).
In my opinion, email scanner is an overkill, since AV program scans everything anyway. I never install email scanner. Another little thing, which slows the computer down.

butterflygirl70

butterflygirl70

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I still have the grey questionmarks when I look something up, I need my green checkmarks! They were so helpful. And this morning, I had to delete 31 spam emails....which is very unusual for my computer. So some sort of setting is turned off, and I can't get it back on! Also, and I'm not sure if this has anything to do with AGV, but when I tried to use the smilies, an exclamation mark came on the hand and it blocked me using smilies...and yes, I have clicked "enable smilies"

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
If you insist on having Link Scanner, I'd try to reinstall AVG.
Personally, I'd suggest disabling it, and use WOT: http://www.mywot.com/
This is what I use.

As for spam issues, I can't help you with that, and as I said before, it has nothing to do with AVG.
Top 6 Most Effective Tips to Avoid Getting Spam Altogether: http://email.about.c...t_effective.htm

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Lately I saw lots of problems with AVG 8.0 (free edition). For some reason it gets easily corrupted by malware or by whatever reason. Peronally I think that AVAST (free) is a much better, faster program. One of it's great features is it's P2P protection which is not available on any other free antivirus. It's somewhat less user friendly and do not perform automatic scans (which I never do, anyway) but on the whole it's a great program.

Regarding spam: If you have a spam filter in your e-mail program it might be disabled or corrupted. If you don't have, you can install one. I use Spam Fighter (free) and it works excellent. These people developed the technology used by Microsoft in their e-mail programs.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Frankly speaking, AVG 8.0 has been having issues from the get-go.
I've been using AVG for years, but I dropped it with the newest version.
No wonder, ver. 7.5 has been still kept alive, while AVG was supposed to end the support last August.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I fully agree with you. The truth is that I abandoned AVG even earlier, in version 7.5. It used to get corrupted and when doing so quite often it was impossible to uninstall, reinstall or repair. It was maddening. I had to remove manually whatever parts I could and then leave some unremovable parts dormant. Only then I could install another antivirus. Since I started with AVAST I never looked back.

butterflygirl70

butterflygirl70

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you, I'm convinced now. I'll go with AVAST. btw, I restarted my computer and my green checkmarks are back, but I'm still recieving a ton of spam! :) hey! the smilies are working for me now!