Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange Happenings ... 7034s, 7024s, 20063, ...

• Please log in to reply

911pchelp

911pchelp

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Suddenly (since last night) my PC takes a long time to load (15-20 minutes) and when it does, things are missing from my Quick Launch menu, ZoneAlarm won't load, get 7034, 7026, 7000, 1008, 20063, 7001, 10005 ... errors (and more).

Finished 'working' last night (after having no errors) by running CCleaner and Shutting down properly. This noon (am on a strange schedule due to disability) I attempted to boot (as usual) and my PC took a LOOOOOOOOONG time to sorta load ... and finally resulted in a msg that my virtual memory page was not large enough - have a 7 yo DELL 4300, 1.6 GHz, 1Gb memory, Win XP SP2, and 1.8 Gb free space on C:. As I said, machine was working fine last night and have made NO hardware or software changes lately (replaced my CD reader with a DVD reader 2 weeks ago but has been working fine).

Scanned with AVG 8 on Monday - no errors ... will scan again now.

I have a HiJackThis log in case this should go to the Malware forum ... but it 'feels' more like a Win XP problem.

BTW: ran a Check Disk scan on my hd - no errors; also restored system (using System Restore ckpt from last Tuesday) but no joy. (And restored register - using ERUNT - but didn't help.)

Anyone run into something like this? Suggestions?

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

1.8 Gb free space on C

How big is C?

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Sorry .... C: is 9.32 GB

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
This is really small hard drive, and you're are the bare minimum of 15-20% of a free space, Windows needs to run OK.
Is it a whole drive, or just one partition?
How much RAM do you have, and what's the size of virtual memory (page file)?

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Total hd is about 40 GB ... split into 2 equal partitions C: and E:

Memory is 1 GB

Page file is 766 MB. Should this be at least 1GB?

System has been set up this way for over 2 years ... never had a problem before (in fact for a while free space was down to 960 MB).

Know about the 15-20% ... thought that was restriction for defrag.

Install all programs (when possible) to 'Program File' folders on other drives (have a 2nd drive of 120Gb ... F:, G:, H:, and S:)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Page file is recommended to be about 150% of RAM (max, and min) - 1.5GB in your case.
One of the options would be to move page file from C to E.
Manual: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307886

One thing not clear, though:

Total hd is about 40 GB ... split into 2 equal partitions C: and E:

Earlier you said, that C is 9.32 GB. Not that equal, I guess...hehehe

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Total hd is about 40 GB ... split into 2 equal partitions C: and E:...
Earlier you said, that C is 9.32 GB. Not that equal

your right - doesn't look equal ... but I misspoke - the total drive is 20Gb total
C: is 9.32
E: is 9.31

I changed the page file size to 2Gb (and put it on my S: disk) ... don't get the "virtual memory low" msg now and boot time is down to 8 minutes BUT some programs are still not loaded ... programs still missing in Quik Launch menu and system response is still slow (eg click on Win Start - response OK ... then clicked on "Turn Off Computer" - 2 min 6 sec response --- also, when typing this reply - sometimes the system is 5-6 seconds behind to display the characters ... and I am a SLOW typist).

I use the ZA Firewall but that wouldn't load ... removed it and tried to install again but couldn't. Install said 'True Vector' service wouldn't answer. I tried to look to make sure the service was enabled (was going to disable then start it again) but the system would not display services.

Is there any hope?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
What is S drive?

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Install all programs (when possible) to 'Program File' folders on other drives (have a 2nd drive of 120Gb ... F:, G:, H:, and S:)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
That's probably one of the reasons for your computer slowness.
First of all, it wasn't a good idea to move page file to your slave drive. You can move it to another partition (E), but not to another drive.
Slave drive is good for all kind of data (pictures, videos, music, etc.), but not for anything what Windows uses all the time (page file, programs).

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Thanks

Will move & retry

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
faster? ..... NOPE - took longer (12 mins)

and worse

didn't fix anything ... same problems as before ... still couldn't reinstall ZA Firewall (install couldn't log into TrueVector service)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Let's make sure, your computer is clean...

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
OK - Thanks