Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adding 2nd HD want to transfer OS etc to this drive

• Please log in to reply

mrmatt

mrmatt

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi,
As my "OEM" HD is making more and more noises, thought it would be best to get another HD, make it the master, the OEM one the slave.

Added in the new HD (WD Caviar Blue EIDE 100 MB/s 8 MB)

It is not formatted, the computer does not see it

Changed the letters of the drives, so there is an open "D" spot for this HD.

I only have the OEM restore dvd which I guess contains windows os. Says it gives a complete backup of the software preinstalled on the pc. have the 14 digit code

I wanted to look at the recovery Dvd - When I put in this restore dvd, no new window opens on my screen, sounded like the disc was manipulating the computer, but saw nothing. Exploring the disc yeilded a blank field. This surprised me. - any ideas as to why

My goal is to install windows on the new HD - I was going to partition 20gb for this and assume I can isolate windows from the recovery dvd and put it in the partion, then copy the rest of the drivers etc to the other partition of the HD.

Also not sure if it is necessary to partition the drive for windows ( how does this help) - should I disconnect my OEM hd, make the new HD the master and just try to install the recovery disc? does this make sense, and make things easier.

pretty much new at this.

Looking for some input

THANKS!

Advertisements