Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Malware Issue

• Please log in to reply

poepoe

poepoe

• Pip
  • 2 posts
For the past few weeks I have been trying to narrow down my problem, and I am certain it is malware. The problems caused are:

~Mcaffee Says: The detection signature file is between 8 and 29 days old.
~System Restore doesn't work(Checkpoints are still there, if I can get this to work and restore I should be set.)
~Can not download from trusted sites like Microsoft or Rapidshare(But can get files through AIM.)
~Certain sites redirect.(Like here and Microsoft.)

My computer is Windows XP Media Edition Service pack 3
My computer did not come with any recovery disks.

I hope I listed enough information for you to help me, but if you need to know more jsut ask.

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

kaunyin88

kaunyin88

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I've followed the malware instruction from the malware removal forum. I do have the Malwarebytes software on my computer and I run it regularly.

I've been trying to update my computer with the microsoft updates and I keep getting redirected or another infection attacks my computer. Is it possible that the malware removal process didn't remove all of the infections in my system? Is is possible that every time I log on to the internet I'm picking up more malware infections from the previous infection in my computer? Could they be linking to my computer every time I sign-on? Is it safe to be logging-on on this system?

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
You need to post your HijackThis log in the Malware Removal forum