Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

(Reinstalled XP) trouble updating and other problems!

• Please log in to reply

jasontibbs21

jasontibbs21

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello. I'm new to the site, and browsed site a bit, but I could not quickly find fixes for my troubles, nor do I have time to browse the whole forum history and archive. Please help me in any way you can (be it a response or thread link). Thank you in advance. I can produce any logs if needed.

I am currently running Windows XP (5.1.2600) Professional Media Center Edition with Service Pack 2 (at least, now I am) on a Dell Inspiron E1705.

I recently had a problem, where Windows did not start up correctly besides in Safe Mode. I would get a blue screen, and I diagnosed it as at least one corrupted or missing essential system file(s). I had a completely updated SP3 version installed at the time. I found the repairing XP sticky on this site and followed it: I decided to use the XP installation disk to reinstall XP, but keeping all my installations, settings, etc., trying to get it back to the way it was (since System Restore wouldn't solve this kind of problem).

The XP installation gave trouble (freezing at 34%), but I found a way to fix it (Debugging Mode). I know that Microsoft has come out with fixes for certain buggy updates, but they are hard to keep up with. So now I have a non-updated XP with SP2, I know my drivers are out of date, and several annoying problems have sprung up. Please help me in any way you can, or direct me to help. It's much appreciated. (Use the numbers if you like).

(1)Since reinstalling, I have tried to update about a dozen times, and now my free hard disk space has gone from 18GB to about 8GB. I haven't installed or downloaded anything substantial during this time. Could this be the failed installations' files?

(2)Windows Update does not work correctly... SP3 will not install. I have tried several fixes and work-arounds from several sites, including Microsoft's. I am stuck in a vicious cycle:
Windows Update > incomplete installation > Reboot > "updates could not be installed" > Reboot > SP3 setup Error > Uninstallation > Reboot > Repeat

I am sure there are certain things I need to do to get from my Install CD's version to the updated version (like the stealth updates, hotfixes, etc. etc.) that aren't straightforward, but I don't know what they are and Microsoft's updates are hard to keep track of.

(3)Internet Explorer crashes unexpectedly, especially when accessing the Windows Update web site. I currently have (and need for a computer class) Internet Explorer 7 with no addons or mods. I at least need IE 6 or 7 in working condition for the class (these are the only listed supported browsers for myITlab). I have recently completely uninstalled and reinstalled it.

(4)My iPod no longer appears in iTunes or My Computer as it did before. I can no longer add songs/podcasts to it because of this. When connected, it is recognized (in Safely Remove Hardware) as a USB Mass Storage Device, Apple iPod USB Device, and a Generic Volume. It does NOT appear as an E drive and iTunes diagnostic does NOT know that an iPod is attached. It still charges and connects correctly. I have recently completely uninstalled and reinstalled it.

(5)I get 2 error messages every startup. I have tried to restore the mentioned drivers, possibly incorrectly, but it didn't help the error messages. They are:

a. lxdcamon.exe - Entry Point Not Found

The procedure entry point GetRequestedRuntimeInfo could not be located in the dynamic link library mscoree.dll.

b. .NET Framework Initialization Error

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\mscorwks.dll could not be loaded.

c. Also, Two cmd windows pop up and subsequently close themselves 2 seconds later.

Also, the following problems were already occurring, but continue to occur after the re-installation. Any ideas on curing them as well?

(6)My Volume OSD is gone. The on screen display does not come up when I change the volume, but the volume icon is in the task bar and functional. I have tried 're-applying' the show icon option fix.

(7)Windows cannot tell me how much % is left on my battery. The Power Meter is faulty, but the Quickset program seems to work fine except for the battery info. It also always shows as on AC Power (whether plugged in or not!) on the task bar and never displays discharge percent.
(EDIT: I just checked this again, and now it is in working order. Something I must have done lately has fixed it.) For future reference, what would have caused or fixed this problem?? I'm afraid it will happen again

Please respond with any help you can on ANY or all of my maladies. I have seen other threads here, and tried a few things from other places, but I would rather someone view my specific case, and provide any knowledge that I can use.
If you need any more information about my problems or current system configurations, please ask. I will do all I can to help you help me, but I am done trying to help myself alone.

Thank you very much for reading and considering myself worthy of your time and help.

Advertisements

jasontibbs21

jasontibbs21

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for absolutely no replies or help of any kind....