Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A service pack Problem ?

• Please log in to reply

8cimi

8cimi

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
Ok so I got an old/new pc from a friend, when I tried to install a fire wall (comodo) it said it could not install because i did not have service pack 2, so I looked into that using google found the officila microsoft page regarding this, d/l the file, clicked on to install it, it fails after a couple seconds, the error window says something like, the file is corrupt, and the pc usually crashes/reboots.

Windows: Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 1
Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106
Memory (RAM): 1984 MB
CPU Info: AMD Athlon™ XP 3000+
CPU Speed: 2084.5 MHz
Sound card: Not detected
Display Adapters: VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD
Monitors: 1
Screen Resolution: 1280 X 1024 - 32 bit
Network: Network Present
Network Adapters: VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport
CD / DVD Drives: E: SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616E | F: ASUS CRW-4832AS
COM Ports: COM3 | COM1
LPT Ports: LPT1
Mouse: 3 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 144.2GB | D: 4.8GB
Hard Disks - Free: C: 128.5GB | D: 634.6MB
USB Controllers: 5 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): 1 host controllers.
PCMCIA (Laptops): Not Installed
Manufacturer: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
Product Make: PC106A-ABA a610n
AC Power Status: OnLine
BIOS Info: AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 06/09/04 | KM400 - 42302e31
Time Zone: Pacific Standard Time
Battery: No Battery
Motherboard: ASUSTek Computer INC. Kelut
Modem: Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem

:
one thing i forgot to mention, I guess this pc had to be worked on because a dog might have peed on it ? im not so sure on the whole story the pc is actually from a friend "of a friend".
im pretty sure its not a malware/spyware or whatever, but then again I am here because I am clueless.

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hi,

I sounds like the file hasn't downloaded correctly, i'd try downloading it again.

XP Service Pack 3 is out now and can be downloaded from the Microsoft update site.

I would recommend that you turn on Windows updates as this will download and install the latest security fixes automatically.
To enable Windows updates click start > control panel > automatic updates > click automatic, set the schedule and click OK. It can also be set to download them and notify you that their ready to install or just to notify you that there are some available.

Comodo firewall is now bundled with anti-virus protection, if you already have anti-vrius software installed you'll need to change the options in the installation wizard so that it doesn't install the anti-virus as well (it'll ask you as one of the installation steps).

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I hate to add this speculation, but are you sure it's legitimate version of Windows? Did they provide a Windows CD with this, and any kind of guarantee that it was a legitimate version?

8cimi

8cimi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Hi,

I sounds like the file hasn't downloaded correctly, i'd try downloading it again.

XP Service Pack 3 is out now and can be downloaded from the Microsoft update site.

I would recommend that you turn on Windows updates as this will download and install the latest security fixes automatically.
To enable Windows updates click start > control panel > automatic updates > click automatic, set the schedule and click OK. It can also be set to download them and notify you that their ready to install or just to notify you that there are some available.

Comodo firewall is now bundled with anti-virus protection, if you already have anti-vrius software installed you'll need to change the options in the installation wizard so that it doesn't install the anti-virus as well (it'll ask you as one of the installation steps).

yes i know the sp3 is out, but I couldnt even install sp2, maybe I should start there, anyways eve read there are lots of people having problems with it, also I did d/l it more than once, and I do know where to activate the updates, when I did last night, nothing happened, I sett it for 9 pm, then 9pm came around, and the pc didnothing, I dont even get an icon on the bottom left screen, all in all I did something and I think I got it to run, or at least most of it, I have sp2 installed now, somehow :) .
Oh So I had to ask if comodo has an anti virus with it, why would I not want to get it also ?

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
So you do have SP2 now? Can you install Comodo? You can install the antivirus that's bundled with Comodo - the point Zeus was making is that you don't want 2 active anti-virus programs, so if you already have one, you won't want to install the one that comes with Comodo. If you don't have one, then it's fine to install it.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts

So you do have SP2 now? Can you install Comodo? You can install the antivirus that's bundled with Comodo - the point Zeus was making is that you don't want 2 active anti-virus programs, so if you already have one, you won't want to install the one that comes with Comodo. If you don't have one, then it's fine to install it.

Thank you Sari that was the point I was making.

Two anti-virus products on the same PC is a no no.

8cimi

8cimi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
ok i get it I apologize for and if I made either of you upset. today I actaully had to call microsoft, because the verification code for windows was not working, they gave me a new one and it worked. im having other problems now andI have no idea where to post.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Tell us the problems, and we'll help you figure out the right forum.