Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Remove unneeded OS installs

• Please log in to reply

bluewotsit57

bluewotsit57

• Pip
  • 8 posts
In my attempts to remove the Virumonde problem from my machine before discovering your website and guidelines which superbly worked first time, following other tips from elsewhere resulted in having 2 versions of XP Home on my C drive and one on my D drive.

Is it possible to remove the 2 unwanted ones so that when booting up I dont have to choose which one to use each time and can go back to using my original (now clean) version

thanks
Andrew

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello bluewotsit57...

Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties". Under the "Advanced" tab, in the "Recovery and Startup" section, click on the "Settings" button. In the window that opens, click on the "Edit" button...a notepad will open (boot.ini). Copy the contents of that window and paste it here for us.

Once we have that information we can get started removing the unwanted directories and the boot prompt.

wannabe1

bluewotsit57

bluewotsit57

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi -Windows=1 was the one created trying to clear the problem.

The working one which I want to keep is the Middle one.

thanks
Andrew

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="1"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (TuneUp Backup)" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /TUTag=WPFE1Q-BAK
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you want to keep the option to access Recovery Console from the boot options?

bluewotsit57

bluewotsit57

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I think in light of recent problems and the fact that booting direct from XP cd didnt produce the Recovery Console it would be best to keep it there

cheers
Andrew

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Paste the modified boot.ini below in place of your current boot.ini, click File on the toolbar and choose "Save". Close the boot.ini file. (I gave you 10 seconds to access RC should you ever need to.)

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

You can then delete the extra Windows directories you created.

Reboot and it should boot directly to your original installation with a 10 second delay to allow RC access.

bluewotsit57

bluewotsit57

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Super thank you so much, wish I had discovered this website at the beginning of the weekend !!

The directories have been successfully deleted. I notice in the Windows directory that I am keeping there are a lot of sub directories showing which start :

$hf.....

and

$NTServicePackUninstall....

and

$NTUninstall............

Can these be deleted or must they be left in place.

regards
Andrew

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Those are from updates and service packs...they should be left alone. Many of them may disappear if you set your Folder View to not show hidden files and folders...this is done in Folder Options under the "View" tab.

bluewotsit57

bluewotsit57

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
fair enough will leave well alone

Thanks for helping solve these issues and questions

Andrew

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician