Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Presario C700 DC Jack

• Please log in to reply

SandV4

SandV4

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello,

I am working on a friends Compaq Presario C700 and it needs a new dc jack. My question is this. Does it require any soldering? I have found the manual and it appears to be just a plug and play. I have not cracked open the casing to take a look yet due to time but was just wondering if anyone knew before i get started. Thanks for the help.

Here is the link for the manual

http://h10032.www1.h...l/c01301275.pdf

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hi,

I just read the manual and it would appear that the power connector just plugs into the motherboard (never seen that before!). It also looks like there's some sort of clip on the side of the connector to hold it in place as well.

I'm not familiar with that model of laptop but it appears that there's nothing that would need soldering.

SandV4

SandV4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Zeus,

Thanks for the second glance. This fact also completely caught me off guard as well. I have been working on comps for awhile and have never seen a non solder dc jack. I thought maybe just because I am tired I was readin it wrong. When I get some time I am gonna crack it open and see if this is really true. If anyone else knows from experience or some other way please let me. Don't wanna crack this open to have to solder when I don't have the time.

Thanks to all :)

SandV4

SandV4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
So I had some time today before I go to work in a few hours and decided to crack open the laptop. After getting all the components off, low and behold, the dc jack IS plug and play! Never seen this before. I wonder if this is a new thing for hp/compaq. It would be nice just cause soldering on a MoBo is a pain if you don't have steady hands all the time.

Hope anyone out there that was wondering the same thing is helped!