Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black screen computer freezes randomly

• Please log in to reply

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
WEll actually in my case the onboard nic solved the problem.

Advertisements

sini

sini

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Guess what... i have the same problem but not the same systems as you guys
screen goes black like in stand-by mode and the only thing i can do is reset

i also noted that when i play mp3 songs and it crashed during the song, the song plays normal to the end but it will not go to another song (shuffle)

Asrock K7s8x Mainboard
AMD Athlon XP 2400+ @ 2000
1 gig DDR333 (2x 512)
Geforce 6800GT 256DDR (Point of View)
Onboard C-Media AC97 5.1ch Sound
SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (onboard)

first off it appears to be at random, but i founded some info on my bug.
when i was typing this it actualy crashed twice cuz i wanted to look up what kind of network card i had

Internet explorer + Control Panel = crash
but Maybe it was just random who knows...

also this problem started when i formated my pc and putted windows xp pro on it with sp2
therefore i used windows xp home and all was right no problems at all

also one time i waited for a long time, and after 5 minutes of black screen a blue screen appeared with the error that nv4_disp has gotten into an infinite loop, but i got that only 1 time... so i dont know if thats the error for sure

maybe its an windows xp pro or sp2 problem??
anyway i'm going crazy

Greets

Edited by sini, 20 July 2005 - 03:20 PM.

AntonyG

AntonyG

• Pip
  • 4 posts
How many of these mobos use the Nvidia 4 chipset? I know mine does.

By the way I have been having no troubles for days now since I changed from my onboard NIC to an Intel.

nzblah

nzblah

• Pip
  • 3 posts
mine uses the nvidia nfroce chipset.

AntonyG

AntonyG

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I think it's the same thing. I'm beginning to think that the problem lies somewhere within the chipset. Apart from the AMD 64 CPU. The chipset may be the only other common factor between everone that is getting this problem.

sini

sini

• Pip
  • 5 posts
i'm not using the Nvidia nforce chipset but the SIS chipset, so its not nforce related
and i'm also not using AMD 64 bit processor but AMD XP processor...

sini

sini

• Pip
  • 5 posts
No Suggestions anymore????

changed my network card... didnt help
changed my video card... didnt help
switched power cable
started my pc with only hhd1 no other devices... didnt help

next step.. i'm gonna format and put windows xp home with sp1 on it again

Installed Windows XP HOME NO PROBLEMS ANYMORE

for those who have still problems, they might had an error during windows installation

Peace

Edited by sini, 22 July 2005 - 11:30 AM.

Ed123

Ed123

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi guys,

I have the same problem too. My PC restarts when I am on Internet Explorer. I enabled the VPU recovery on my Graphic Card. Instead of re-booting the PC, this will re-boot the graphics card instead. Can continue to browse but very annoying.

I noticed that it will re-boot when I visit sites that contain animated graphics.

I have been trying to fix this problem (re-install windows XP, updates all drivers, change PSU, use OMEGA ATI drivers, re-install IE, change bios, etc.) for the past 6mths but none of it could solve my problem.

I wrote to Microsoft about my problem and they said that there's something wrong with my graphic card and mobo, I need to contact the manuf.
I wrote to MSI (my mobo manuf) and they said that there's something wrong with my graphic cards, I need to check with the graphic card manuf. I then wrote to Gigabyte (my graphic card manuf) and they said that there something wrong with my Mobo, I need to contact my mobo manuf. None of the manufacturers are of any help at all. Just pushing away the problem.

So, tried to browse with different browsers and it works!. I use Netscape now. Problem solved.

Also, if I uninstall the ATI drivers and use Windows standard graphic drivers (leave my display adapters as unknown), no problem with IE but will have problems when playing 3D games later.

I am curious. What's the real problem here? I want to use back IE cos' some sites can't work with Netscape.

For Slayer666 he solved his problem by changing his NIC card and direct linked to the router. But for me, all this while I am using my onboard NIC and a router and I still have the same problem when using IE.

My PC Config:
P4 3ghz
1GB RAM (Dual Channel) PC3200
300GB HD
Gigabyte Radeon 9600XT 128Mb
MSI 875P Neo Motherboard
450W PSU
Yamaha CD-RW drive
Gigabyte DVD Drive
Intel PRO 1GB NIC (NIC conect directly to Linksys Wireless B router and router connects to the cable modem.)

Anyone have anymore ideas on the root caused of this problem??

laltuna

laltuna

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello Guys,

Mother Board: Model: A8V – Deluxe
VGA CARD: ATI ALL-IN-WONDER 9600 XT
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Processor Socket 939, (2.2GB) 1MB Cache
MEMORY: Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2PT 1GB DDR400 XMS3200 Dual-Channel
HARDDRIVE
Primary: Maxtor 6L060J3 60 GB
Secondary: Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6B300S0 300GB Serial ATA 7200RPM Hard Drive
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows XP Pro SP2
DVD±R/RW CD-R/RW
PX-716A DVD±R/RW CD-R/RW internal E-IDE (ATAPI) drive
CASE & PWR SUPPLY
Aspire ATXA8NW-AL/500Watts Power Supply

Here is how my network is configured:
UMAX 350 Mhz -- Equipped with the WMP11 Wireless-B PCI Adapter
AOPEN 550 Mhz -- Equipped with the Linksys Wireless-B Access Point and . This is the main computer. I do have the Verizon DSL modem connected to my router and the router -of course- to this PC.
AMD 64 (The new PC with Asus A8V Deluxe) Equipped with theWMP11 Wireless-B PCI Adapter. But the crash only occurs with the AMD 64 and not with the other ones.

PROBLEM: Every time I connected to the Internet on my AMD64 "ONLY" the screen in my monitor would go black :) . The monitor would stay "ON" and also my PC would stay "ON". All the programs
[u] would still be running but of course I could see nothing. THE ONLY WAY TO BRING THE SCREEN BACK TO NORMAL WAS BY SHUTTING OF THE POWER ON THE PC AND THEN RESTARTING AGAIN. Moving the mouse of pressing any key would not help at all.

SOULUTION: I removed the LinkSys theWMP11 Wireless-B PCI Adapter and installed a normal and inexpensive NIC card. Connected it to the router (Wire). Reconfigured my network.

I CAN NOW CONNECT TO THE INTERNET WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER. NO MORE BLACK SCREEN. :) :tazz:

Mrhide

Mrhide

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok,

I just ADD to reply to this thread since it was the closest one to my problem.

Same black screens, same nightmare.

I come this close to format C: when the little tech tells me it's the "capacitors" on the board that are bad.

He makes a call to dell and bang, the guy is here the day after, changed my motherboard and we could CLEARLY see that the caps were "fat".

Bang, problem fixed ! ( I could reproduced the black screen / freezing at will by going with internet explorer ( firefox didn't do it!?! ) at www.ca.com ... call it Java script or what ever is running on that site was making those caps crazy !

Bottom line: CHECK YOUR CAPACITORS TO SEE IF THEY ARE NOT FLAT ON THE TOP ! :blink: :whistling:
Best regards, best of luck if you actually read all the way to here !
Phil
http://mrhide.pinnesota.org

Advertisements

fmazon3

fmazon3

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,
I'm having the same problem, my computer all of a sudden even with no applications running randomly spazes out, the monitor goes blank and the fan runs loud.

So, I think I found a solution to my problem. I'm using windows 7, in the power settings i went to change advanced plan settings and in the pci express tab it was set to maximum power savings. I just turned it off. Hoping that it will work now and my pc wont turn off like that again.

here is the image btwPosted Image