Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black screen computer freezes randomly

• Please log in to reply

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I take it this happens even when all the startup programs are disabled?

If so, can you tell me what IRQ the NIC card is using & whether it is shared with anything else. Also the make/model of the card

Advertisements

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
yeah i have all startup progs disabled. My card is kinda old now...its a D-link DFE-530TX and its in IRQ 19 with no conflicts and no other devices use that IRQ.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Thats the exactly same NIC that I've got in my main system, although I'm currently running win98.

The problem with this virtual IRQ assignment that XP does, is that you don't know what IRQ is really being assigned to the card, as IRQ19 doesn't actually exist. Although XP reports no conflicts on IRQ19, in reality the card is using a different IRQ (eg 9, 10 or 11 etc). Its quite possible therefore that other devices are too.

Which physical pci slot is the card in (counting downwards from the top after the agp slot)?

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Ok the D-link card is in the 4th pci slot with my modem in 3 and soundcard in 2.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Just checked your mobo manual, in fact slot 4 is the only one that isn't shared with anything else so thats good.

To be honest with you, I'm not at all certain what the problem is being caused by. You could try updating the NIC drivers or replace it with a different NIC card but can't promise it will make any difference.

The only other things I can think of at the modem are :
1. Some sort of problem with the cable modem
2. Malware on your system
3. Dodgy network cable

You could try downloading & running hijack this to check out the malware possibility. If you post the hijack log on here, I should be able to tell you if theres a problem with it. If there is, you may have to post it in the malware forum to get them to deal with it.

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Ok cool..ill check out the hijack. thanx for all your help

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiPTA] atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O16 - DPF: {0E5F0222-96B9-11D3-8997-00104BD12D94} (PCPitstop Utility) - http://pcpitstop.com...p/PCPitStop.CAB
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupd...b?1116092462828
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoft.../as5/asinst.cab
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: RadClock - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\RadClock.exe

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

Sorry it's taken me a while to reply - I've been in the bath.
From what I can tell, your hijack log looks absolutely fine.
I did notice that you have AOL Instant Messenger loaded (aim.exe). If you aren't using this a lot (it can always be started manually) then you may want to disable it. At least then thats one less thing running in the background.

Everything else looks ok though.

Like I said earlier, I'm starting to run out of ideas on this one - which is unusual for me & it's possible that some sleep (its 2AM over here) & a fresh look at it again tomorrow might help. In the meantime though, I could ask Doby to have a quick look over your problem, see if he's got other suggestions.

cheers
samm

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Could you tell me what speed ram you have is it pc3200?

List your temps from bios I know Samm asked for them but I didn't see them

If you have pc3200 set the ram to run at 200mhz instead of auto or spd.

let me know if any of this helps if not try taking out the nic card and playing some games to see if the problem reoccurs but I would like to see the temps first.

Rick

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Ok my bios reports cpu temp of 42c and mobo of 29c. I checked in pcprope too and it reports cpu of 35c and mobo of 25c. Ill try out the ram setting you mentioned too.

Advertisements

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
not sure if this makes any sense but i had a friend who told me to actually up the ram from 2.5v to 2.6 and see if its more stable...could this be true?

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
[bleep], it just did it. But my puter was up and running for 20hrs. I had two explorer windows open, then i opened up DC++ for file sharing. I did a search then went to wheel down with the mouse and pointer froze for about 3seconds before the screen went black. Man this is really annoying but it always seems to do it with explorer or DC++. Could it be the windows firewall? or maybe something wrong with my internet connection?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, I've had a fresh look at your problem now.

1. Don't know if XPs firewall is the problem but disable it anyway, it's crap. Remember to replace it with something else though, like zonealarm etc, before going back on the net for any length of time.

2. I don't really know anything about DC++ but I do know I've had real problems before if I try to run IE at the same time as a P2P filesharing application. Have you tried COMPLETELY disabling DC++, and then opening IE?

3. I know I asked you before for your RAM specs. All you have told me though is that it's 1GB of OCZ running in dual channel. The bios settings you posted for the RAM were all set to auto so this doesn't tell me much either.
Can you (1) let me know the exact specs (eg whether it's DDR400 for example) and (2) try running the RAM in single channel instead.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Ok now you really got the wheels spining, I wonder if it ain't related to the P2P and windows fierwall.

Are you connected directly to the cable modem or a router?

Your running sp2 but double check windows update make sure to get all the critical updates and have a look thru the others to se if there are any for IE.

How about trying a different browser, such as Mozilla Fierfox.

Download and install then run prime95 torture test Prime95, prime will tell us if it indeed is hardware or software.

Your temps look good but running prime will raise them so report them after prime runs for 15 minutes or so, let me know how long it takes prime to fail or if the computer does the black screen

If you can run prime for 5 or 6 hours then its either software related or the video card.

Rick

Edited by Doby, 19 May 2005 - 02:30 PM.

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Ok well i turned off firewall and it still did it...so i guess u can rule that out. I tried running prime and everything was goin fine for about an hour when we got a bad storm here so i shut everything down. forgot to check temps too but ill run it again tonight and see what happens. I did turn down the ram to 200 and it has been ok all day today, so far. Ram is DDR (400) 3200 - 1 GB (2 pcs 512) OCZ. Ill go through and get all bios settings tonight too. What is the draw back to running the ram at 200 instead of 400?