Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black screen computer freezes randomly

• Please log in to reply

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Your manual is a little unclear with the dram clock and without seeing it I am unclear so what are the options?

If its 200mhz then thats what you want if it was set at 400mhz then you were overclocking the ram and thats what the problem was so leave it at 200 and all will be good.

To explain this pc3200 runs at a clock of 400mhz but because your cpu is double pumped you set its clock in bios to 200mhz this multiplyed by 2 for the double pump = 400mhz its rated speed.

Rick

Advertisements

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Oh ok i understand now i thoght i was underclocking it by 200mhz. Well its been up and running for a while now with no probs so hopefully that was it. When i first got mobo it was set to auto...could the auto option set it at 400mhz?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
The base frequency (speed) of the RAM should be 200MHz anyway. It is then doubled up the 400MHz (the effective speed of ram).

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I doubt the auto setting would set it to 400 but with these bios bugs you never know,

I hope this is all fixed
Let us know

Rick

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Jeeeez just when u get ur hopes up! it just did it ....and i had the same combo, explorer and DC. Maybe its my d-link ethernet card? should i try the built in one from my mobo? I have it disabled now. It definatly only happens when either DC is open, explorer is open or the combination. I have a cable internet provider with a RCA/thomson cable modem...could it be the modem? I just cant uderstand why my screen goes black. Ive had plenty of computers just freeze but never the screen going black too.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
if you have a onboard nic why are you using a card?

Take the card out and use the onboard

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
well i did it because i actully couldnt get it to work. but i think its because my provider had the some serial number that didnt match the new onboard nic. ill try it again....could that be my problem though? that the nic card is messed up?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
it could be I ain't sure but you should also try disabling the onboard nic in bios if you want to still use the card

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
yeah i tried onboard and i cant get it to work...so i made sure i disabled it in bios. Ill get you all my memory bios settings next. How do i run this ram single channel...can i run it single channel and still get 1gig or do i have to just make it 512?

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
I just came into computer room moved mouse to get out of screen saver, hit refresh on explorer browser (it was still on this page of the forum) then i moved my mouse to center of screen and it froze for 3secs then went black! Man this is drivin me nuts! why wont it go black when i run photoshop or games like doom3? you would think the extra strain would make somethin freeze...but its only when im either uploading or recieving any kinda internet information.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
You disabled the onboard nic in bios right?
But also go into device manager and remove it and its drivers

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
yeah i disabled it in bios and removed it from device manager. I might just reformat and install progs one by one and see if any start messing it up.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Before you reformat, we might as well try a couple more things. At least that way if it gets mucked up, it mucks up the old install not the new one.

1. Boot up in safe mode & go into device manager. Delete any duplicated devices that shouldn't be there & any uninstalled devices. I know you said you've already done this for the onboard NIC card, but device manager sometimes shows devices in safe mode which are invisible normally.

2. Can you tell us what your network configuration settings are? ie for TCP/IP, the NIC card etc. Also, go into control panel -> Internet settings. I assume you won't have any dialup connections listed but click on LAN button & let us know what the LAN settings are configured to.

3. Can you tell us what make/model of NIC and external modem you have?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Try running the modem on usb instead of ethernet and see if theres any change if not.
I would also run prime overnight without any other programs running but disconnect the cable modem when you do this just in case your virus scan auto updates and connects to the internet thus creating a black screen witch we would then think is a hardeware problem.

I am still not sure this is hardware thats why you should run prime it will help tell us weather this is hardware or software related. Prime will test the mobo,cpu,psu,ram and heat so if it fails prime its got to be one of these if not something else.

Rick

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Ok well I ran prime all night last night with no probs...I unplugged cable modem too like you said. The temperatures in the morning after prime were 44c CPU and 29c Mobo. So I guess that eliminates a hardware problem right? I’m going to try the cable modem with the USB cable today and see if i can get it to freeze.