Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black screen computer freezes randomly

• Please log in to reply

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Now this is getting odd and annoying...so does your screen go completely black like the monitor lost signal? All of my fans are still running and the only thing I can do is hit restart on the case. Right before it freezes im always on the internet or DC. I can run progs and games forever with no problems. Are these the same symptoms you have?

I deleted all the registry entries and couldn’t find minibug running or on the hard drive so ill guess ill give it a day to see if it still freezes.

Advertisements

goflyapig

goflyapig

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi. I seem to be having the same exact problem, and found this thread through Google looking for an answer.

It happens sporadically, and doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing when it happens. The mouse freezes for a few seconds, then the monitor goes blank with a "no signal" message, but the computer and all the fans are still running. The keyboard's Caps Lock light doesn't respond either. Also, the speakers will sometimes (if there is sound playing when it happens) start making a continuous high-pitched beep.

I've had it happen at the Windows login screen, before even logging in, and it's even happened during XP's white-text-on-light-blue-background console type thing before the full OS loads up. The only two programs I've found that can make it happen regularly are DC++ and WinDVD 4, where it happens after five or so minutes without fail, usually.

I've tried updating my video, BIOS, and chipset drivers. I ran Memtest86+ for ~4 passes with no errors. I've scanned for viruses. I'm stumped.

Windows XP SP2
MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R mobo
AMD Athlon64 3200+
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
Logitech MX700 mouse
Audigy2 soundcard
D-Link DWL-G520 wireless adapter

I don't know how helpful this is, but I hope someone can come up with an answer. :tazz:

Edited by goflyapig, 03 June 2005 - 08:28 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Don't know if this will help or even relevant :

Applications that will work "differently" after SP2

Other related info here :

Win XP SP2 Halts 15% of Systems, Survey Says

Ron

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Jeez another person with this prob. Well I have not had it freeze up with other progs or games yet. Maybe i just havent used them long enough. DC or IE do seem to do it quickly. you have a different setup and still have this problem so maybe it is Win XP. Im gonna do a fresh format with xp sp1 and see if it gives me same problem.

DrJOnes666

DrJOnes666

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi guys.
I found this thread googling for, guess what, the EXACT same problem.

Here's my system:

Asus a8v deluxe
AMD 64 3500+
2GB 400 RAM
Ati 9800XT
Dlink Airplus Xtreme DWL-G520 (wireless)

. Windows XP SP1 (I cannot use SP2, it has serious issues with my system somehow. I had to re-install Windows and use only SP1 to make sure all was OK).
. Firefox browser
. ZoneAlarm (free)
. MSN 7
. NOD32 antivirus

- I experience the same random black screen lockups (can only resolve by manually rebooting the system). Screen goes completely black like the monitors lost signal (I have dual monitor). All of my fans are still running and the only thing I can do is hit restart on the case.

- I strongly suspect that the problem is network related. I am 90% certain it has to do with network. I don't know how to explain it other than it usually happens when there is network or internet activity. Somehow, it tends to happen when more than one utility is using the network/internet. For instance, if I have a p2p software currently downloading/uploading, and one of my other computer connects to my computer, I will experience the black screen lockup almost all the time. My machine is the only machine (out of the three that I have at home) that will lock up like this. That said, no other machine here have the same config.

- One way that will almost always lock it is if I have a Acureus running (p2p) and at the same time I use Adobe Premiere Pro to do some editing. This will lock up the system in no time. I don't know the fact that Azureus is downloading on the same disc I am usnig to edit is to blame here or not...

- I have disabled COOL N QUIET technology because it seemed to me this would make the machine even more unstable, especially when using the network or internet. (by the way, where are the updates for COOL N QUIET on Asus?)

- Like others, I can play games for hours with no problem.

Like the others, I am really fed up with this problem and I cannot seem to find how to solve it. I am on the verge of reformating, AGAIN, but man I sure wish I did not have to do that because I have so much stuff on this machine, it's crazy!

I'm kind of hopping for magic here to solve this problem...

:tazz:

DrJOnes666

Edited by DrJOnes666, 01 June 2005 - 10:47 PM.

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Yeah im pretty sure its network related too. It only does it when using p2p or internet surfing. I see your using sp1 I guess that wont solve my prob because i have sp2. We do have same exact mobo and one thing that we all seem to have is an amd 64 and a dlink card. Maybe its dlink..have you tried another nic? I havent because i cant get my hands on one right now.

DrJOnes666

DrJOnes666

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I did a test yesterday: I re-activated COOL N QUIET (with all recent updates). I then started AMD`s PowerNow Dashboard to monitor the CPU. I dragged the window left and right for 30 seconds, and BAM!, black screen crash.
I was not using internet or the network (although the connection was live).

Anyway, I don`t know if it helps or not to know this.

Meanwhile, indeed I would like to try another network card... I'll see if I can find one.

DrJOnes666

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Jeez i really hope its not a problem with the amd 64 cpu maybe ill try to enable cool n quiet and run the same program you did. I still have not had it freeze while using another prog. Could it have something to do with the hyper transport settings?

lord_lucifer

lord_lucifer

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Found this thread by searching. I too have computer freezing problems. Where the screen would go black, or the speakers make noise, or mouse would freeze. I notice this happens when I run eDonkey(overnet) a P2P program. Just now I'm at work and I VNCed into my computer at home and now it's frozen and I can't access it. I can go hours without freezing but when I start accessing the internet Bam! :tazz:

I use the onboard nic with a router and a switch. I have 4 computers in the house 1 of them is a server. I noticed reading through that someone else has several computers on a network. Is anybody else running more than one machine on their network and if so are using Server 2003 with Active Directory Domain Controlling. I noticed my machine would freeze a lot more since I join it to the domain. This could be irrelavant.

Here are some of my specs for the machine (off the top of my head) I will repost a more detailed list when I get home and restart my frozen machine. Let me know if you need anything specific.

Spec
ASUS MB P4P800 (I think)
Intel 2.8 533 FSB 1Mb
PC2700 RAM
ATI Video Card
ATA HDs
Happens both in w2k and xp

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Well I just have one computer and connect to the internet through cable modem. Only thing similar is the video card, ata hd's and asus brand mobo. Maybe its Asus mobo....I think I might email asus,amd and ati to see if anyone else is having this prob or if they know of anything.

Advertisements

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Ok i just flashed my bios to the most recent version and then ran dc. everything seemed fine for about 15min when i did a search for file and as soon as it went out retrieve info the computer froze for 3secs and screen went black. I guess its not the bios then. Its gotta be internet related somehow.

stuart813

stuart813

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
i set same system up in shop but with 3500+ and 9800 pro same problem same mobo it turned out to be the mobo it auto overclocks the cpu u have to fine comb the bios to find this and is only o/c'ed by bout 1% but this was the problem the pc has been fine since and i have never used that mobo since this being the case i can not remember the exact location of the setting ur looking for.......

hope this does it 4 u

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Ok this makes sense because sometimes when i reeboot the mobo says overclocking failed...but only sometimes. Ive gone into all settings and made sure that my ram is not overclocked and ive tried setting the cpu settings to standard and auto overclocking and each setting still froze...maybe there is another setting in different place? When i check it with the amd utility it does say that cpu is overclocked slightly. normal is 2.4ghz and mine is at 2.441ghz. I wish you could remember the location of setting but ill try and look for it.

DrJOnes666

DrJOnes666

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
the AMD cpu info tool also tells me my cpu is slightly overclocked.
How do I switch the overclocking OFF?

I'll search too. If anyone finds out, I'd sure like to know.

DrJOnes666

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Ok Guys,

I doubt a 1% overclock could have anything to do with this but stuart813 said it turned out to be the mobo witch I could very well believe.

The 1% OC is just a byproduct of loading the bios defaults and happens with all systems and as long as it is minimal OC its nothing to worry about.

I would suggest to try and underclock the system to see if it helps out any.
Go into bios and and lower the fsb from 200mhz to 166 mhz. I only suggest this as a test because by underclocking you are not getting the full potential out of your cpu.

before changing any bios settings make sure you know how to clear the cmos in case a mistake is made and the computer won't boot.

Rick