Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black screen computer freezes randomly

• Please log in to reply

DrJOnes666

DrJOnes666

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I might have found something that might help with the problem.
Two days ago, I decided to change my POWER MANAGEMENT settings. I had them orignially setup in a way that would turn off the hard disks after 30 min and turn off the monitor after 15 minutes. I decided to tirn everything off (in other words, everything always ON).

So far, I haven't experienced a black screen crash. I will try a few more combinations that I know usually crashes the computer and will come back for a report.

Also, I would like to try the manual settings in the BIOS as sugested above, but I do not know what I should enter in there...

DrJOnes666

Advertisements

stuart813

stuart813

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
thats a coincidence coz this 1 has no power management enabled

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
yeah i have power management disabled on mine and it still does it. I figured out how i can get it to freeze almost everytime. I open up IE minimize it, then open up DC++ if im uploading and downloading at the same time...i do a search for something common like star wars...as soon as it tries to filter those thousands of hits it freezes on me.

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Ok guys i can now consistently make it freeze. all i need open is DC++ and i need one upload going then i do a search for a common name and bam it finds about 700 and locks up. Ive tried every combo with no upload or download going, and just download but nothing happens...only when im uploading at the same time. So im now convinced this is modem or nic related...unless the mobo nic is conflicting with it but i have it disabled on the mobo. I need to try a new nic other than my d-link.

Edited by SLayer666, 04 June 2005 - 01:55 PM.

stuart813

stuart813

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
ok heres those settings i said i would post the system is with me now they r as follows:-

in advanced in bios under the catagory named system frequency/voltage configuration set AI Overclocking to manual and set cpu fsb to 200 and CPU Speed/Voltage setting to auto and DDR Voltage to Auto and AGp Vlotage to 1.5V and V-Link Voltage to 2.5V

it only seems to be the cpu setting that makes a difference on this board... by the way it is a revision 1.02

Edited by stuart813, 04 June 2005 - 02:52 PM.

stuart813

stuart813

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
and the sata hdd's are striped on the promise controller

stuart813

stuart813

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
av put 2 200gig sata's in it 2night and an xfx nvidia 6800gt 256mb ddr3......
is all fine

Mawk

Mawk

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok here's a new addition to my problem, as my P/S is on its way here. I was on my desktop and playing a high graphics game (Dark Age of Camelot) and it doesn't freeze....at all...unles I go to the desktop and start clicking stuff, primariily on the toolbar....Now it seems its if I click stuff on the toolbar it goes black then freezes....Any ideaS?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Don't know if this will help or even relevant :

Applications that will work "differently" after SP2

Other related info here :

Win XP SP2 Halts 15% of Systems, Survey Says

Ron

View Post

Think a lot of this has been covered in links above, but can provide more.

Googling is good. Helps you to help yourself because the info is out there.

Ron

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
yeah but we have people who have tried sp1 and sp2 with the same problem. Of course some people do seem to have a different prob than me. I really think mine is internet related and some how only uploading.

Edited by SLayer666, 05 June 2005 - 10:14 AM.

Advertisements

dimentid

dimentid

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am having pretty much the same problem, but I can say for sure that mine is not internet related. it will freeze even if im changing the order in which files are listed in windows explorer with nothing else running. i do have a dlink nic but it is disabled because i dont use it. i have updated the bios, vid card, modem, agp drivers, nothing fixes it. i have read quite a few post about this and will try some of the fixes and report my findings. it seems like a lot of people are experiencing this. formatting will do absolutely nothing but waste your time so dont do it.

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Well guys I think ive fixed the problem.....kind of. I tried hookin cable modem up to a router and it has not givin me the black screen since. So I guess it really was internet related.....very strange.

DrJOnes666

DrJOnes666

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Well guys I think ive fixed the problem.....kind of. I tried hookin cable modem up to a router and it has not givin me the black screen since. So I guess it really was internet related.....very strange.

View Post

Hi Slayer666,

Can you elaborate/explain? I'm not sure I understand how you fixed it...
I still experience the trouble, AND I am 100% certain it happens when network is accessed and internet is working at the same time; so I know it has to do with the network/net but don't know how to fix it...

DrJOnes666

scrushmaster

scrushmaster

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
virus scan your S-h_I-t! I like Ewido and AVG to virus scan, you can get them both at downloads.com. Also the overclocking BS that came up is because you tried to enable the AINOS on that mobo and you have cool and quiet enabled, which conflicts with the ainos stuff. Can you give us the heat readings? on your mobo, cas, processor and ram.

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Ok well im not sure how the router fixed it exactly...but maybe it has something to do with the my old modem. scrushmaster as far as virus scanning and bios stuff we have gone through every possible setting and scanned virus and spyware many times..nothing at all comes up. Plus ive never had Cool n Quiet enabled and i know its not overclocking because I overclocked it pretty high and could not get it to freeze. It is def. internet related for me and DrJones666, im not sure if its the modem or nic card though. Somehow the router stopped my problem maybe its the settings or just the fact that its new router. Watch i prob jinxed myself by saying all of this...its prob gonna freeze any minute haha.