Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black screen computer freezes randomly

• Please log in to reply

DrJOnes666

DrJOnes666

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Ok well im not sure how the router fixed it exactly...but maybe it has something to do with the my old modem. scrushmaster as far as virus scanning and bios stuff we have gone through every possible setting and scanned virus and spyware many times..nothing at all comes up. Plus ive never had Cool n Quiet enabled and i know its not overclocking because I overclocked it pretty high and could not get it to freeze.  It is def. internet related for me and DrJones666, im not sure if its the modem or nic card though. Somehow the router stopped my problem maybe its the settings or just the fact that its new router. Watch i prob jinxed myself by saying all of this...its prob gonna freeze any minute haha.

View Post

I don't know about the router... I have 4 computers at home, all connected to the same router, and only my main computer is acting funny with these bugs. Worth noting is that my main computer is the only AMD 64... which seems to be something in common between us.

Anyways, this is one of the strangest and toughest random bug I've ever had to fix. So far, no luck here.

DrJOnes666

PS. No overclocking here. Cool n Quiet is off. And I doubt having a virus (I always have NOD32 running and Zonealarm is ON all the time.

Advertisements

DrJOnes666

DrJOnes666

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Slayer666, did you fix the problem on your machine?

Today, I had a few crashes and an idea popped in my head.
Someone on a computer on my network connected to my computer and started viewing photos from my D drive. I was working in Photoshop, which uses my D drive as a scratch disc.
It didn't take long before my computer froze, went to black, and a reboot was needed.

I was not using internet at that time (no peer to peer, no browser). Only Photoshop. (well, MSN messenger is ON all the time and checks my emails from time to time...)

Anyways, I started thinking: what if the crash was due to the computer having trouble figuring out which ressource is trying to access the hard disk? I don' know if this makes sense. What I'm trying to say is, what if Photoshop was trying to acces the HD at the exact same time the second computer was trying to access the HD to view a certain photo? What if the bug was related to the computer not knowing which computer to give access priority to the HD? Although we are lead to think the problem is network related because the problems occur when our computer is being accessed from another machine, maybe it is HD related?

If I am right, I have no idea why the problem occurs or how to test/solve it.

But I figured, maybe telling this possibility here might give someone else an idea on how to test if my theory is right, and maybe how to fix it...

Any ideas?

DrJOnes666

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hey you know what you might be on to something here. That makes sense because it seems to freeze more often during an upload ...and they would be accessing my HD at the same time I was using prog which was using HD too. I still have not had a freeze but it could be because im not using p2p or explorer a lot. Ive been using mostly lightwave and photoshop. Ill try to run my p2p in background while using photoshop to see if I can get it to freeze again.

What is your HD setup? I have one sata seagate 120gig HD and one 40gig ide seagate as backup.
I have my p2p sharing and downloading on the ide backup drive.

DrJOnes666

DrJOnes666

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have three internal hard drives in my system and one external.

Like I said, today I crashed while I was in Photoshop and a computer in my house accessed my computer. The external computer was accessing a HD used by Photoshop as a scratch disk... Worth noting is that it crashed while I was doing an action in PS (I figure it was also accessing the scratch file).

Later, I crashed while CuteFTP was uploading a file on a FTP and I was browsing the internet at the same time.. The system crashed when I did an action in the browser (ie. clicked on a link). The file I was uploading to the FTP was on the same HD as my cache for the browser...

I have no idea what this tells us.

DrJOnes666

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
I just noticed that we have a almost the exact same setup.
Here is what u listed in an early post:
Asus a8v deluxe
AMD 64 3500+
2GB 400 RAM
Ati 9800XT
Dlink Airplus Xtreme DWL-G520 (wireless)

The only difference in mine is that i have amd 64 3800, 1gb ram, dlink non wireless. we have same graphics card and mobo and everything is same manufacturer. maybe this setup has probs

DrJOnes666

DrJOnes666

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I was thinking the same thing when I saw your setup and posted mine...

Do you think we should go to Asus with this?

DrJOnes666

I'm on MSN if you need to reach me: mmedia @ cam.org

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
yeah i guess we should email asus with this problem...maybe a few other people have problem too. I guess the mobo would be first thing to look at cuz i doubt hd are bad. Unless its somethin with xp and asus?

Only prob is its prob gonna take like 2months to hear back from them...I think they have a forum on their website ...ill go check it out.

DrJOnes666

DrJOnes666

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
alright, sounds good. Let me know.

Also, the email I gave above is good only for my MSN Messenger. It is not a vaild email anymore.

scrushmaster

scrushmaster

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Okay guys i have no idea why you think that dual access to your harddrive would cause something like this. You may want to check the asus site out. Also I have the same mobo and a athlon 64 3500. I have never had the problem. After reading everything, and yes every page of this, I still think its a virus, or maybe a loose power cable on the mobo. Sure up your cables and perform computer maintenence (ie. defrag with diskkeeper, and try you best to find a virus). 25% of virus's out there are suspected as not having definitions, so just because you ran AVG, Ewido and every other virus scan on earth, it does not mean you dont have a virus. I think its a virus cause it took you guys 9 pages to even draw a crazy conclusion about the trigger of this event, when in all likelyhood its completely random.

DrJOnes666

DrJOnes666

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I disagree scrushmaster.
This is NOT a total RANDOM crash that I am experiencing. The crash will happen ONLY when network is accessed, and in many instances I can reproduce the crash.

I am 100% certain it is network related. I don't know from where or how, but I am telling you: the crash occurs when my computer either accesses my local network or is being accessed from another computer on my local network WHILE I am doing something else at the same time on my computer.
5 minutes ago, my girlfriend was trying to view images on my computer from hers. I fired up my email agent and Firefox while she was browsing the images. BAM, crash to black; need to reboot. I can reproduce this.
Also, if I want to make the machine crash, I know what to do:
- all I need to do is start a software that uses internet on my machine.
- then I go on another computer in the house, and I connect to my main computer.
- I start transfering files from one computer to the other.

This combo will crash the machine for certain. Sometimes it does it immediatelely, sometimes it takes a few minutes.

This is not as farfetched as you might think. Certainly not as farfetched as suggesting to DEFRAG our hard disk thinking it could solve this issue.

I don't know about a virus. I am well protected, but I know not ALL viruses are detectable. BUT the antivirus I am using, NOD32, is supposed to do an excellent job at catching virus without it being in the signature database.

That said, I don't totally rule out the possibility of a virus. If you do have suggestions on scanning more toughruoghly my computer, let me know.

DrJOnes666

Advertisements

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
I agree with Drjones666 on this one....it is def internet related. I guess it could be an unkown virus...To be certain Im going to reformat this weekend and install xp sp2 again just to see. I have everything backed up and ready to go. I do appreciate your opinions and thoughts scrushmaster but.....

One thing that might prove its internet or modem related is that i still can not reproduce the black screen after this new router. Like Drjones666 said we can make it happen everytime with the right combo...for me i could do it with one download and upload on DC, then either minutes or secs later it will freeze.

I have noticed after router that im no longer in active mode im passive because im not forwarding the port yet. I have been surfing with IE tonight and still nothing froze. How could a router stop this problem though?

laltuna

laltuna

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello Guys, I have emailed both of you already. In any case I have the same problem. I agree that reformating will do nothing to fix this problem. I have done it a few times already. Not only that but I have also written zeros to my HD. You may find a good utility for this at killdisc.com. That will do a real clean up. However I continue to have the same problem. I agree that we should contact Asus about this problem. I have my reasons to believe that somehow Asus and ATI may not be a good combination after all. We all have just about the same system (A8V – Deluxe, Radeon All In Wonder 9600XT, AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Processor Socket 939, Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2PT 1GB DDR400 XMS3200, Primary: Maxtor 6L060J3 60 GB
Secondary: Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6B300S0 300GB Serial ATA 7200RP
Windows XP Pro SP1, 500Watts Power Supply). I wrote to ATI and this is the answer they gave me to the problem (It has NOT fix my problem yet). Please see attachment:
Have any of you tried using a different video card? I will try contacting Asus also. I think we can resume this issue to the three vendors in common: AMD, Asus and ATI.
Some how we need to get to the bottom of this. :tazz:

Attached Files

gbert

gbert

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Sign me up for the club i got same problem :tazz:

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Ok guys I did a reformat and got rid of my d-link card and im using the onboard nic now....since ive done this it has not crashed at all. Now the only prob is im not sure what fixed my problem...the reformat or using the onboard nic. For some reason im still thinking its internet related and was prob my old d-link nic card. I still cant make sense of it all but the crashing has stopped. Oh yeah by the way im using a router now too but im not sure if that helped at all. Do u guys have d-link cards? im pretty sure its not the graphics card cuz i didnt change that at all and i could run games all day long with no probs even when it was crashing.

king cobra

king cobra

• Pip
  • 1 posts
SLayer666,

after reading this thread!!! Here goes my gess, on your now past problem

In your case I may well have been your dlink NIC card that was was borderline defective, more precicly whether it was connecting at 10 or 100mbits, half or full duplex. Most Cable/dsl modem NIC's are 10 mbits.

computer-> Dlink(at 10mbits)-> Cable Modem (10mbits) == Crash

computer-> Dlink(at 100mbits)->Router(100mbits lan side, 10mbits wan side) Cable Modem (10mbits) == No crash

computer-> onboard(at 100mbits)->Router(100mbits lan side, 10mbits wan side) Cable Modem (10mbits) == No crash

You should try onboard nic direct to see if you can make it crash.

as curious as I am about computers, I would also create a restore point, install dlink Nic and see if I can crash!! That would defenitly confirm the card was borderline defective (at least in one of it's speeds).

PS. Some ISP match NIC MAC address and and modem, and dont provide a new IP for up to 24 hours. So swaping NIC or onboard nic direct may not work right away. That's why I like to clone my computer MAC address into my router (many router alow this) That way if I run into network problems I can connect Modem direct to computer and rule out router as problem quickly.

KC