Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Application Error - svchost.exe The memory could not be written

• Please log in to reply

Blazric Jones

Blazric Jones

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi everyone,

Thanks for running this forum :)

Yesterday when my computer was starting up I received this error:

svchost.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x00098bc5" referenced memory at "0x00098bc5". The memory could not be "written"

OK to terminate

Cancel to debug.

Firefox will not open, and audio will not play from music/video files. Some video files will not open. Error noises still come through the speakers though. If I try to restart, it hangs at "logging off". I've deleted temporary files, run a malware and virus scan using Symantec and nothing was found.

Anyone have any ideas where I can start to diagnose/fix this problem?

Thanks for reading.

Advertisements

Blazric Jones

Blazric Jones

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I've noticed that many people have a similar problem to this due to Windows Update, however Windows Update is disabled on my computer so no new updates were installed prior to the problem first occurring. If a HJT log will help I can post one.

Edited by Blazric Jones, 09 February 2009 - 05:41 PM.