Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

avast antivirus home edition

• Please log in to reply

amitava

amitava

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
according to a forum where I'm a member avast home edition was better than avg free...accordingly I uninstalled AVG FREE and installed avast antivirus home edition ,registered it with avast site and started a scan. However avast is stopping scan at 9 percent (getting stuck) at C:\System volume information......what do you suggest I should to ? run avast in safe mode? I've got to mention of course the bittorrent programme was downloading files all the while...should I exit bittorent and run the scan? or should I go back to avg free?

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts
Hi,

When running a virus scan it's best not to have anything else running, just leave it to it.

It may just be that the folder is huge and it's taking a long time to scan the folder.

Do you have Zone Alarm firewall installed?

Have you run chkdsk to scan for any file system errors?

amitava

amitava

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I've tried the command line chkdsk but it says my c disc is NTFS type....I finally right clicked c drive in my computer and set it to check for errors...even after the drive was combed for errors avast wasn't able to go beyond 9percent.

However from another forum i learned to disable system restore and then do the virus scan.

avast did the boot time scan fine after that

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello amitava

Quote: C:\System volume information... This is where your System Restore points are stored ( they can build up to quiet a large size over a period of time )

Quote: However from another forum i learned to disable system restore and then do the virus scan. This will flush all previous restore points and have a new one set ( good work )

I suggest you also run ATF cleaner ( Does a little more than jump the internet temp files )

You can download this @ http://www.geekstogo...ner-file21.html

Good luck , if you require more information about avast post back... if topic is closed contact admin to have it reopened

Happy Computing!!!

Anthony19

Edited by Anthony19, 10 February 2009 - 01:58 AM.

amitava

amitava

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
downloaded the ATF cleaner but when I try to run it I get the message cannot delete Folder Dd93 as It's not empty.

However Avast is again getting stuck at 9 percent scan after I turned on system restore.

Does this mean I've got to turn off system restore every time I want to do a scan? very bothersome.

Please advise

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts
Do you have Zone Alarm firewall installed?

amitava

amitava

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yes I do have Zone alarm installed Do I have to uninstall it before running the avast scan ?

I don't trust windows internal firewall and have kept Zone alarm instead..........is my mistrust of windows firewall justified?

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts
The Windows firewall is paper thin so it is justified.

While doing some research on the net it appears other people have had issues like the one your getting. They added c:\System Volume Information\tracking.log to the exclusion settings and it seemed to stop hanging. The log file is something to do with Zonealarm.

Another way of getting around this issue would be to remove Zone Alarm and use Comodo. Comodo is also free to use and includes anti-virus (Comodo anti-virus can be disabled during install).

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts

While doing some research on the net it appears other people have had issues like the one your getting. They added c:\System Volume Information\tracking.log to the exclusion settings and it seemed to stop hanging. The log file is something to do with Zonealarm.

Another way of getting around this issue would be to remove Zone Alarm and use Comodo. Comodo is also free to use and includes anti-virus (Comodo anti-virus can be disabled during install).

amitava

amitava

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Thanks a lot but you know I'm a total newbie.... I'm going to program settings in avast then going exclusions but when I'm browsing for C:\system volume information I can't find it .Could you please elaborate on how to find that folder after I click browse in the exclusions tab of AVAST