Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Hard Drive not recognized

• Please log in to reply

paddymoran

paddymoran

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hello. Recently, my external hard drive (manufacturer unknown - there is no logo or anything on it) just stopped working. I got Delayed Write Failed messages for a day or so, and then my computer just stopped detecting it. I have trying unplugging it and plugging it back in, and it is detected as an unknown device.

I don't have a driver disc or anything for it. Absolutely everything except Internet Explorer (ick) is on that hard drive, and I have already tried replacing the USB cable. I need that hard drive for my computer to be at all useful. What do I do???

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
give us your system specs...
look in the device manager for any yellow or red ...
when it started happening had you unplugged the drive WITHOUT using the safely remove icon in the system tray....

paddymoran

paddymoran

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
System specs...

Windows XP SP3
Pentium 4 2.0 ghz
internal hard drive with 115GB storage
uhh...cd-rw and dvd drives
like 1.5 GB ram

...?

in the device manager, there is no yellow or red

and no i havent unplugged it without using the safely remove icon

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try plugging it into a different computer...if it can't read the drive...
no joy
if the external drive is still in the warranty period...you can send it back for replacement...
if it has all your data then you will have to open the case on it and then slave it to a working system to try to recover your data with no guarantee that it will work....BUT if you can't recover any data the warranty is no good because you opened the case...