Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP Repair Question

• Please log in to reply

daddy

daddy

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Hi All!

Well, for the first time in 4-5 years my own computer had problems yesterday. IE kept shutting down for no apparent reason and then the whole OS would reboot itself randomly. I did a system restore which has always bailed me out in the past. I thought it worked, but after about 10 minutes back on the web my computer did the same thing over again. I thought then I would do another system restore and go farther back, but now system restore won't work. It just sits there. So, I booted into Safe Mode to try a SR there with the same results.

Anyhow, being that I am impatient I tried a system repair which is built into my HP Pavallion. This is where I think I made a mistake, even though I THOUGHT I wouldn't. First, it took almost all night. I started it at about 11:00pm last night and it finished at around 6am. I thought it just repaired th OS files, but kept all applications and saved files. The saved files are ok, but none of my applications work and they are not listed in my ADD/REMOVE programs area...but yet they are still on my desktop???? Also, lost all my FAVS to IE and my Outlook seems to be emptied out as well????

And to boot (pun) the computer rebooted itself already once before I had to leave to work. :-(

Did I do something wrong and is there a possible way to recover all my old settings and applications? I have like 50 apps and that is going to be a nightmare putting them all back on again.

Thank you in advance

peace out,
daddy

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit?

Sorry that your HP is a bit sick. From the symptoms, it almost sounds like you're having some kind of hardware problem starting to pop up, (spurious re-boots are usually hard drive and the fact that your HP restore took as long as it did also points a finger there).

And sorry to say that the HP restore would put things back to like it was when it came out of the box and your 50 apps will need to be re-installed. But I would run some hard drive integrity checks 1st. (Boot from XP CD, choose R for repair console and then log onto your XP system. Type Chkdsk /r once you get through to the Dos like prompt..

Good luck...

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Hi and thank you for a reply!

I did a Chkdsk and it went in three stages and said everything is ok. I also tried something else. I shut down my internet connection, and after I did the the rebooting stopped. Is there a possible reason for that?

Also if all my apps are gone then why are they still on the desktop and there is still folders of them in windows explorer?

Luckily I was able to copy all my saved files onto another external HD last night so at least I am safe there I hope. Oh, also everytime I try to do a system restore it pops up a message that says in cannot due to not enough system resources and that I need at least 200mb to do this. Well, when I check I have 1.5G available and it still won't function. That leads me to my final question. After I did the system repair (the one that took forever), it ate up almost all of my HD space on "C"??? How the heck does that happen?

My HP has a partitioned recovery drive (D) for a restore so I don't have any XP cd's. It is how the computer cameout of the box.

Can anyone guide me on what to do next, or should I just do a complete system restore and forget trying to repair anything? Thanks in advance :-)

peace out,
daddy

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Wow, 3 stages means FAT..

OK, PSU putting odd voltages into your MB? Something in your hardware is causing spurious reboots...

I had a client whose system was doing incredible symptoms. When I opened the case, it looked like a Chinese silk worm had made a home inside. Cleaned out the silk, system was ok,,

Check out your system insides. Remove al dust that you can see. Maybe clean the contacts on your ddr chips. This is something related to hardware..

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Hi again. I am actually one of those who cleans out the box regularly so it is spotless! Should I just go for the whole restore? Is there any more info any one might need to help me before I push the RED BUTTON! LOL I will check this board before I go home from work.

Oh, might any of this be related to the phpbb hack?

peace out,
daddy

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
You could check your event and systems logs in the event viewer for some clues, but if its hardware there may not be any. Is your system near any large electrical motors or refrigerators? Current spikes can sometimes cause problems..