Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FTP with Vista

• Please log in to reply

melissanon

melissanon

• Pip
  • 2 posts
On my previous computer, I had XP, and to access my FTP files, I'd go to my documents, then type in ftp://website.com. It would then give me the username and password prompt, and there would be my files.

Now on my new computer, I have Vista. If I go into documents, and try to type the ftp into the top bar, I get a message saying Windows cannot access this folder. Make sure you typed the file name correctly and that you have permission to access the folder. Details: the FTP session was terminated.

I have looked all over the internet for a solution, and I've found a couple things, such as going into internet options>advanced>enable this, disable that, and neither worked.

Please help. :)

Advertisements

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
Hello :)

It may be that Vista does not have an FTP Client within it as XP does. Do a search from Start>Search and type "ftp" (without quotes) and see if Vista comes up with one. If Not, you will have to download one from the internet. Be advised that Vista in its default configuration may ask for Permission to run applications, and also that you may have to adjust the firewall in Vista to allow the client to run. Post back here with the results of the search, and if you need one, I can give you a link to download one.

Brian

melissanon

melissanon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I have done that already, and it comes up with command prompt, like old ms-dos. I read one thing online that instructed me to do this just to make sure I COULD access it, I followed the directions, and was able to see the files in the ms-dos raw sort of look. But from that, I can't copy them onto my computer, which is what i need to do, so i can edit them in frontpage, then put them back into the server for a website.

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
TRY HERE

Then go to FTP Commander Deluxe 8.0 (Freeware) There is a download link on that Page.

I use WS_FTP Pro 9.01 By ipswitch, and it does indicate it works with Windows 2003, however, I am not sure if it works with Vista.

Good Luck!!

Brian

Edited by **Brian**, 10 February 2009 - 10:17 AM.

oyzomagno

oyzomagno

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I believe CoffeeCup has a free FTP client, not entirely sure though. Very reliable site.