Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hotlean.com redirect from google search page [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

megadez

megadez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
My computer was pretty unresponsive is safe mode, for one thing. Also I couldn't browse because I didn't have internet connection and going to control panel-network connections revealed there was nothing inside - empty. I didn't have the usual connect to option in start menu, so I couldn't use internet.

I think something is going on. I turned computer on and it seems too much cpu is being used without valid reason, maybe that's the reason for sluggish responsiveness.

Advertisements

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

I think something is going on. I turned computer on and it seems too much cpu is being used without valid reason, maybe that's the reason for sluggish responsiveness.

Hmm...the scans we have run should have revealed anything really bad. Not that we should discount that because we can't find the beggar that's causing these re-direct problems. My thought is though that maybe all the tools we have been using are starting to effect performance, possibly by building up lots of temp files etc.

Do this:

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

Now

Lets try something else.

Internet Explorer 7's No Add Ons mode

One of the lesser known features of Internet Explorer 7 is the "No Add Ons" mode.

A shortcut is automatically added to the All Programs Menu in the System Tools folder (All Programs, Accessories, System Tools) when Internet Explorer 7 is installed. Alternatively, you can create a shortcut on your desktop or QuickLaunch bar with the following target path:

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff

Primarily a troubleshooting tool, No Add Ons mode allows you to start IE with all add-ons such as toolbars and activex controls disabled. If you are seeing problems when using IE in normal mode, and those problems go away when using No Add Ons mode, then obviously a third party product is at issue. Use the Manage Add-Ons tool to disable all Add-Ons, start IE in normal mode then re-enable the add-ons one at a time, testing as you go, to work out what which product is causing a problem.

There is a similar feature in Mozilla Firefox

Please go to how to start Firefox in Safe Mode. Once you have changed your Firefox to Safe Mode try some browsing and see if there is a change in behaviour.

Come back and tell me the results of these actions.

megadez

megadez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
redirects are there in safe mode as well in both browsers

when I have a couple of programs working, but don't do anything in them and
observe CPU usage history graph it looks spiky constantly jumping from 20 to somewhere in
the region of 70-75

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Next lets try disabling JavaScript in your browsers.

Please go to enabling/disabling JavaScript in browsers and disable JavaScript and see if that makes a change in behaviour.

megadez

megadez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
I reinstalled windows as computer was becoming less and less responsive. Thank for helping me for such a long time.
Keep it up.

I have one question, maybe you know the answer and can give it to me. After reinstall I can get 1024x768 , 1280x768 screen resolutions, but they are both bad, I think I need 1280x800, native one, but there's no such option in settings now. I reinstalled windows once in the past following exactly the same procedure I believe, and didn't have resolution issue back then.

megadez

megadez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
I was wrong, I got 1280 by 800 but it seems to not look the way it was before, it looks sharper I'd say, maybe a little bit more stretched vertically (letters, e.g.) but at the same time all other resolutions are much worse. I can live with it though.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hi megadez,

For some reason I didn't get automatic e-mail notice of your post 185.

My apologies.

Well it seems you have overcome the re-direction problem.

As far as your screen resolution goes, well that is really a tech question and you would get better answers by starting a new topic over in the XP section.

However I would say this, in the past when I have re-installed Windows I have found a similar problem that was fixed by updating the appropriate driver. Another time it wasn't the driver, just a matter of a lot of experimentation until it suddenly looked right.

Don't know whether that will help but there it is for what it is worth.

Turning to the (in the past now) redirection problem.

Remember you told me another person had the same problem.

If the disabling JavaScript hadn't eliminated the problem I was going to suggest that we get that person to open a topic so that we could compare logs and see if there was something consistent across both machines that might be causing the problem.

In a way though it is good that you went for re-installation because we would likely have been looking for some time. It was interesting though. Others were helping too but we had exhausted all the usual actions we could take. We were at the point of experimentation to try and find the source.

I will keep this topic open for a short time in case you have any further questions.

megadez

megadez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Disabling Java didn't help back then.

Other person having same problem is Psytronics on geekstogo, you may try to contact him if it's possible, if it's not but you'd like to tell me and i can reply to his personal message with whatever you want to say.

Thank you and others again to such a devotion to solving peoples' problems. Keep it up!

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

if it's not but you'd like to tell me and i can reply to his personal message with whatever you want to say.

No I think we will leave it for now but if he wishes he can open a topic here.

Thank you and others again

You are very welcome. :)

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Advertisements