Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU or Mainboard Fried?

• Please log in to reply

kelltech

kelltech

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
My daughters desktop had a powerful burnt smell coming from it right before it shut itself down (she didn't have time to respond). When I opened the case I did smell it, thinking it came off of the power supply, I pulled it off the case and it did have a slight smell at that point. I smelled inside the case, nothing really stood out to me.

After installing the board and all into a nice new case and power unit, I start up and get to the 'Asus' screen, but that is it. Not sure what to do or check from here, I did double check all connections and it seems good. Thanks for any advice.

Advertisements

kelltech

kelltech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Eh, never mind. I got it working. Who knows what I did to get it to work! I pulled the drive out, popped it in another pc and it booted, put it back and it fired up. I'll never understand these things!