Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Extremely Long Virus Scans

• Please log in to reply

kingair_87

kingair_87

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
My parents have a custom built computer, which they got a friend to build. The computer has an 80 GB hard drive (I don't know if that has anything to do with it) and I do virus scans with AVG Free. The problem is, the virus scan takes over 5 hours to complete!!!! What the heck is going on? Every time I finish the scan it says no viruses are found. I've done disk cleanup, i've checked the drive for errors, i've defragged, scanned with SuperAntispyware Free Edition, and it's still so very slow. Is there anything I can do to speed up the virus scan or is a part of something a lot more serious with the computer?

Please let me know.

Advertisements

kingair_87

kingair_87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I should also note that not only the virus scan is slow, the whole computer is slow. The most frustrating thing I've ever experienced!

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Virus scans can take a long time to complete. One thing you can do before running a scan is clean out all your temporary files. If you spend a lot of time on the internet, temporary internet files can become large, and other temp files can also be big. A good cleaner like ATF Cleaner can not only free up space, but speed up scans. Are there a lot of system restore points? You could try clearing and setting a new system restore point.

When you say it's slow, is it slow all the time, or only when performing certain functions? How much RAM does it have? Has it always been slow, or this a recent occurrence?

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
http://www.geekstogo...ner-file21.html

There's the link for ATF Cleaner.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

I should also note that not only the virus scan is slow, the whole computer is slow. The most frustrating thing I've ever experienced!

Here is a guide written by Artellos. It helped me out with all my computers. What makes your machine slow?

My scans with AVG Free take about 3 1/2 hours.

TuneUp Utilities 2009 helped some too. Only a 30 Day Trial. As you may see on the next post...I don't recommend the registry cleaner part of this.

That's my 2 cents =)

Edited by Ferrari, 13 February 2009 - 08:14 AM.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
We here at GTG do not tend to recommend registry cleaners, as they are extremely dangerous. If one critical key gets deleted, then the entire computer will not function properly. I strongly recommend steering away from registry cleaners.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Sorry about that, registry cleaner is just a part of TuneUp...just don't use that part if you don't feel comfortable with it.

Thanks jt1990

Edited by Ferrari, 13 February 2009 - 08:13 AM.