Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connecting Digital Speakers to new laptop

• Please log in to reply

brianos

brianos

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

I am trying to get some sound out of my old (but good) Boston Accoustics BA735 speakers. I have a Dell Studio 1537 laptop with Vista. The BA735 only has a digital line in, and the laptop only has headphone outputs which are presumably analog.

Do I need some conversion device? If so I'd appreciate any suggestions as to what will do the job.

Many thanks - in anticipation!

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Not to burst your bubble...but you might have some work cut out for you. I acquired those same speakers with a subwoofer and all as part of a "lot" sale I bought. The reviews said they "sound amazing if you get them to work". I could not get them to work on my laptop or desktop no matter what I tried. Finally, I put them for sale on Craigslist. An electrical engineer bought them and contacted me a few days later. He said he had to somehow? by-pass the digital signal and made them run an analog signal and they worked. It was all jiberish to me, but he said something about messing with the internals and re routing wires, etc. Just thought that might help you somehow. Contact me via PM if you want, I may be able to look up his email address for you.

Another thought, have you tried googling them to see what other had to do to get them to work?

brianos

brianos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for your reply Ferrari. The speakers did work on my old Gateway PC which clearly had a soundcard that did the right thing. I have tried googling for info but as yet have not found any workable solution. It sounds like your friend tinkered inside the sub-woofer so I will have a look there next. If you still have his email address please send it to me and I'll contact him directly.

rgds

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi,

I will send you a PM with his email address. I have notified him that you will be contacting him about the boston digitals via email.

Good luck!

Anyone else have any suggestions on what to do?