Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

antivirus downloads for windows 98

• Please log in to reply

jody78

jody78

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:) hey... I recently signed up for "earthlink" their norton antivirus does not work for windows 98! So i'm seeking any help on any "free downloads" of such??? Can anyone help me? I'm on disability and thought if anywhere is "free" that would be cool!

Advertisements

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello jody78

There are many free antivirus Software out there... ( why pay when free will do the same job :) )

I recommend Avast Antivirus ( home edition ) you need to register ( free ) every 12 months ( well worth the time )

this is minimal requirements for your system
486 Processor, 32MB RAM and 100MB of free hard disk space

Note: The operating systems Windows 95/98/Me/NT4 will be supported until the end of 2009

to download visit : http://www.avast.com...avast-home.html , you have 60day trail then you need to register and you will receive 1 year protection free

After that year you can simply uninstall and then install another different AV ( by then there will be sure to be more.. but i dont know about supporting 98 :) )

Be sure you have a firewall installed and running , comodo does not support 98 ( never has ) and zone alarm discontinued support

Quote: Windows 98se[b[/b] Support Discontinued
On July 11, 2006, Microsoft will end support for Windows 98, 98SE and Me, which will have the resulting effect of making these operating systems less secure (http://www.microsoft...dofsupport.mspx). Windows 98 are older operating systems, and therefore inherently more vulnerable to attacks than newer operating systems. Now that Microsoft will no longer provide security updates to this operating system it will become increasingly prone to security vulnerabilities.

3 years ago... discontinued support for 98

Sorry i cannot help any further , but you have a AV prog for a year if you wish to go with avast

i would give you links to the older versions of the firewall's but i am not sure if its a good idea because they are older versions ( i suppose old is better than none , inform me if you are not running a firewall and i will get links for free firewalls if you would like )

Good luck ... ( maybe time to upgrade :) )

Sorry for any inconvience

Anthony19

Edited by Anthony19, 11 February 2009 - 12:16 AM.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hello jody78 and welcome to G2G!

I also recommend Avast Home Edition, I used it for years without any problems. I liked it so much that I brought the full professional version of it.

Something worth noting though is Avast will only support Windows 98 until the end of this year, combine that with the lack of security updates for Windows 98, I think it's time you seriously considered getting a newer PC.

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
QUOTE: " Note: The operating systems Windows 95/98/Me/NT4 will be supported until the end of 2009"

But i agree the lack of windows updates for 98 would put me off... Time to upgrade :)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi Jody78, Welcome,

Just thought I would add that there are several free downloads of all sorts of programs out there, not just for anti-virus. Stick around here a while, and you will come across several free programs available in other members signatures, and in other topics, etc. Some work with 98, some don't.

Just thought that was worth adding, before I came here- I had no idea there was that many programs of good quality for free. Keep that in mind Jody78.

Enjoy!

Edited by Ferrari, 02 March 2009 - 04:11 PM.

wanz2lrnmr

wanz2lrnmr

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello Jodi , There are other things you should also do befor loading another Virus program. In case you were'nt aware of these. You dont want to try and download one security system with another on the system,in affect , they will try to clash. Delete one , then download the other . AVG is also a tried and true good download and ease of use . . Here is a site that you can download things like you need for older operating systems. Old version.com,,, also File hippo has alot of the older files for older operating systems. and carries a wide assortment of them . If you go with AVG, try the version 7.25 or 7.0. . these will usually work for the older systems alot better than the new upgraded versions will. Have alot of fun , but as the others have said and I must agree, It's time for newer. Build it yourself and save ooodles of $green. It'll cost less to buy & build parts new from newegg or other computer stores. and alot more rewarding with your first build. I am just this month graduating from Windows Millenium Edition , 256 ,,, to a dual core ,2-harddrive, 4gig,ect.ect.ect,, home build .I am by NO means a computer geek and mister know-it-all. But I have been successful and now have a screaming chicken of a machine, good for gaming ,home theater,multi monitors,and about anything else I want to do . And still will be able to do upgrades with this one that I could'nt do before ... Have fun , Hope I helped and not confused you .LOL C~Ya !! :)