Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

startup takes awhile

• Please log in to reply

usafjonny04

usafjonny04

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
ok here is my problem...

i'm stuck here deployed in afghanistan and about a month ago my computer did a crash dump, well about 5 in 3 days, and ever since my computer hasn't been able to start correctly. when i turn it on it goes to the startup screen and stands for about 3 min. then it finally gets to the log in and from there it seems fine. sometimes it won't even get to the log in it will say that windows couldn't start, then it'll ask if i want to do a startup repair where it will restore my computer to a time where it worked and any programs downloaded after then will not be restored, or to start windows normally.... i always pick start windows normally.

everything after that works fine. my internet sometimes messes up but i can deal with that.

what is going on with my computer???? lol... any suggestions are appreciated!!!!

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Go Start>Run (Start Search in Vista), type in:
msconfig
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).

Click on Startup tab.
Click Disable all

Click Services tab.
Put checkmark in Hide all Microsoft services
Click Disable all.

Click OK.
Restart computer in Normal Mode.

NOTE. If you use different firewall, than Windows firewall, turn Windows firewall on, just for this test, since your regular firewall won't be running.
If you use Windows firewall, you're fine.

Any faster?

usafjonny04

usafjonny04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
:) the startup after login is alot better but right before the microsoft startup loading bar there is a black screen with a blinking underscore in the top left corner. it stays on this screen for about 2 min.!! sometimes it does this but stays in the beginning screen where you can push f2, f3 or esc or whatever... sorry i don't know what that screen is called. lol :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
What antivirus, and firewall do you use?

usafjonny04

usafjonny04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
as of now windows firewall and windows defender is all i have.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
No AV? That's not good.
We have to make sure, your computer is clean....

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

usafjonny04

usafjonny04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
ya i did that and it got deleted... the whole topic was taken off. so umm i don't know. i have since downloaded avg. and i have no viruses

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Please, follow my advice.