Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD not recognised in XP Home

• Please log in to reply

bluewotsit57

bluewotsit57

• Pip
  • 8 posts
For the past 18 months I have been using without any problems an LG Multi Drive GSA 4120B. About 2 weeks ago it started rejecting to burn dvd disks. Checked all the obvious and only noticed what I considered minor things (see below), and decided it was worn out so bought a Pioneer DVR 116DBK combo drive.

This also refuses to write DVDs - Im using the same type I have used throughout, but to be on the safeside I opened a new spindle of them - still no luck.

Went into My Computer and it showed the drive as being a CD drive as opposed to naming it.

Went into Device Manager and the drive is shown by its Name and referred to as a CD drive however. It intermittently disappears from Device Manager.

I decided to put the original drive in and check the above 2 points, and found exactly the same happened.

What is strange is that in the burning software programmes without exception the drives are both correctly named as being DVD/RW drives and their respective names when installed.

I can play CDs, I can play most DVD's but cannot record any DVD, havent tried recording CD's as thats something I never do, and dont have any stock.

System is XP Home SP2 (as SP3 continually refuses to load and rolls itself back)

I have tried several DVD burning software programs including my favourite DVDFab plus several Freeware ones which I had used successfully before.

On one occasion I received an error message referring to formatting and packet writing but didnt note it down exactly. On several occasions the disk is reported as being Full, othertimes that the program to be recorded will not fit (this is because it bases it on a CD size).

I've tried changing Master and Slave connections, I've tried CSL on the interface, I've pulled all cables in and out several times.

Im now at a total loss as to what to check as looking at both drives Manufacturers sites they both do not produce drivers only using the Windows ones and my Firmware is the latest on each drive.

Andrew

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Laser's probably toast. New DVD writers aren't expensive and by the time you've diagnosed a particular issue with that one it's just as quick to go down the road and buy a new one.

bluewotsit57

bluewotsit57

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Indeed but as mentioned in the posting, this also happens with a brand new one bought last week

bluewotsit57

bluewotsit57

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The latest round of tests I have actioned have produced no luck either

1. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Primary & Secondary controllers plus the Ultra controller - made no difference

2. Switched the drives in various combinations

Master HD Slave DVD
Secondary HD Secondary Slave DVD

Master hD Slave other DVD
Secondary DVD Secondary Slave HD

In Device Manager both DVD drives continue to be listed by their names, however in My Computer they continue to show as CD drives.

Expanding into their properties - shows them as CD Drives, with a File System of UDF - whatever this means.

So still at a total loss