Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot boot into windows, safe mode etc

• Please log in to reply

revi

revi

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi guy's

Can someone please help?

My brother's laptop is in a mess.

It would not boot into windows, gets stuck in safe mode and now needs NTLDR file but won't let me load it.
I tried to use my XP disk to repair his systems but that kept freezing.

I had to download a recovery console disk and decode his administrator password. tried Bootfix etc and still no joy.
The console tells me that he as 3 partitions. C: with nothing on, D: with 4 files including a recycle bin file and about 1 g in size and windows is being shown as Drive E:

The machine is an ACER with a Toshiba hard drive. OP: XP but no disk or key code.

I've tried every [bleep] thing over the last two day and still cannot get into windows.

If only I could start in safe mode, I may have a chance to rectify this thing.

Any help would be well appreciated

Thanks,

Revi

Advertisements

Blastoid

Blastoid

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Do you have access to a boot cd such as ERD Commander? If so you might be able to get in and run a chkdsk /f on all the local drives as the issue could be corrupted data on the drive. If ERD commander is not available you can get Barts PE (http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/) which is a free usb flash based boot solution that should get you in, also you can take the drive out of the laptop and into another PC (assuming you have a USB to SATA or IDE adapter) and do what you need to from there.

revi

revi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks for the return Blastoid.

On night shift so forgive the delay.

Using the Recovery console disk I've downloaded from the net allows me to run CHKDSK, I've used /r and /P. They complete OK but when I try and run any command in the BOOTCFG it fails to scan and find any windows installation and ask me to run CHKDSK again.

If I leave the laptop to load itself, it just boots to " incorrect systems disk" whether there is a CD in the drive or not.

I've been using XP pro to try and boot this laptop and now realize that the OS on the laptop is XP home.

I cannot get info to find what level of the home edition IE: service pack 1, 2 or 3 and spent time downloading Boot disks only to be told that it is the wrong systems disk.

I have not got a adapter to turn the laptop HD into a slave on my PC but will looking at that at the weekend if all else fail. I've been told that the success rate is not that good.

I've run out of options mate, and will now try one last thing. Which is to try and download the CD for the hard-drive and see if there is a repair tool there.

Cheers,

Revi