Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need partition recovery software

• Please log in to reply

FCCAGut

FCCAGut

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
I dunno where this goes on the forums so I just made a guess. I was on my PC and I had Windows 7 (confusing bootloader when dual-booting btw) and I wanted to get Windows XP back so I decided that it might be able to work with the Windows 7 partition deleted. I used the Windows 7 disk and got rid of the partition for Windows 7. The BIOS then started having problems I guess you could say so I went back on the disk and turns out my Windows XP partition went along with the Windows 7 partition that I had just deleted (this isn't an upgrade, this is a dual-boot). Now I need partition recovery software that can (hopefully) recover the partition of XP. Does anyone one know any software that can help me with this problem? Next time I'm gonna just stick to virtual machines (that was the initial plan, I dunno why I restarted my PC and installed Windows 7.)

Advertisements

Nicolet

Nicolet

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
There is software that will do this for you, however it's very likely you won't be able to recover the partition intact, just the data files and would need a new XP installation. Look for acronis software, I've used it and it's excellent, but it's not free.
Also, the more you use the new partitions the more data you will lose, so I suggest do not use that disk for anything other than to try and recover your information, since you will replace the info you're trying to recover and then it's gone.
Let me know how it goes