Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

old/new pc

• Please log in to reply

8cimi

8cimi

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
Ok so ive been trying and TRYING to get this pc running smoothly, Im not going to go through the whole drama of waht ivebeen doing and undoing on this pc, to say the least,
I do have a genuine windows, I have been trying to update anything I can. but something still seems to be wrong.
I get error windows and! my pc reboots randomly, although sometimesit seems to reboot for a reason, (doing updates and or downloading / installing some file.
I spoke with other people and one said it might be a registry problem another said maybe my ram (sicks) are corrupt (?)

the reason I picked this place to post is because I also want to get rid of all the junk thats on this pc, ( a ton of hp stuff, windows stuff (like office) with limited user time, aol stuff (wich never seems to go away), msn messenger ( i like to use trillian), hp or msn games, NORTON !!!(?) ? I dont know what to do anymore. I have a shortcut named Game channel on my desktop which I cheked out and all the games are limited time/uses.

The topic title I picked because this pc was lent to me practically new, but had not been online for quite some time, hence not being updated/old.

Is there a list of things I can / should do, to try and get all this junk apps/software off my pc properly, and get this pc to not reboot its self constantly ?
ive tried something called pc decrapifier (?) and i also tried the control panel >ad/remove programs, both seem to get the programs off the pc, but not entirely, it leaves the desktop shortcuts behind among other things, and most of all when doing this, it seems to upset the pc, (making it give me error + rebooting)

I posted my specs in another post using spu spec? or something names like that, but i lost the link/thread where it was posted, I will try to find it if any of you think it will help.

I am at your mercy pc Gds (Gds not a typo)

I do apologize for my noob-ness, and my pestering. (I really have been trying my self)

humbly yours 8cimi

thank you in advance to anyone.
forgot to post this picture, this pop up keeps coming up, you can see all the shorcuts of the junk I dont want/need. (I have not uninstalled anything exept Norton, which a pop up to start it keeps coming up even after uninstalling it)

also forgot to mention, I have pictures of all or most of the errors ive been having, while system recover.destructice recovery/ and/most random erro wondoes coming up during updates or reboots.

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.JPG

Edited by 8cimi, 10 February 2009 - 06:59 PM.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
What operating system is installed on this pc? If this pc is new and you don't care about any of the programs or data on there...you may want to consider reformatting the hard drive(wiping everything) and then re installing the operating system i.e. Windows XP.

You need the product key and a cd that is for the operating system you use.

8cimi

8cimi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
I already did that, more than once actually, and I even did a destructive recovery, I dont have a cd, my key is on the side of the pc.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
How have you reinstalled xp without a cd? I am not talking about a repair. I mean doing it the way you delete EVERYTHING including xp. Just like you would if it were a brand new hard drive. Here is a guide I found on pcworld. Concentrate on the second paragraph under "Ready to Install" This is about all I know, if you have already done this, I'm not sure then.

Installing XP Guide

Another thing, if you have already done all of this, it may be best you post in the malware forum. Check out the rules for posting there. Wiping the hard drive is supposed to rid the drive of everything, including viruses. So,

Let me know.

Edited by JAR300, 11 February 2009 - 12:28 PM.

8cimi

8cimi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
thnx -.-, I did not install windows ( i think) although I did have to enter the key. I think ive gotten the pc running fairly well, But i might as well post a hijackthis huh ?

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
As many problems as you were having, I figured it would just be best to reinstall. That picture you provided looked like a virus pop up from what I could tell. It never hurts to get cleared from the malware guys. If you still have problems just start a topic for the problem you are having.

Sorry I couldn't help more,

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
That pop up is for a legitimate program that looks like it came with the computer, since it says HP Compaq in the upper right corner. What happens if you click Don't Remind me?

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

since it says HP Compaq in the upper right corner

How do you enlarge those images...my eyes are bad as it is. Sorry about that.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Click on the picture and it will get bigger.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Whooops =( Last picture I clicked on didn't get that big, I still couldn't read it. That one was full screen and was much easier to read.

:::backs into the corner out of embarrasment::: :)

Edited by JAR300, 11 February 2009 - 08:28 PM.

Abydos

Abydos

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
Hi

I assume, that if you haven't been using a CD, you used the recovery partition?

All those programs you want to uninstall, you could uninstall them with Revo Uninstaller.
Its a freeware program, and does a good job at removing persistent hardheaded programs.
Some caution is adviced tho, as it is a powerful tool. If in doubt about anything, stop, and
ask.

Revo Uninstaller can be downloaded from here:
http://www.revouninstaller.com/

Before using this tool, you should make a restore point and a registry backup. Just to be on the safe side.

Start, all programs
Accessories, tools
System restore

For registry backup, download Erunt from here:
http://www.snapfiles.../get/erunt.html

Erunt backup guide: http://www.winxptutor.com/regback.htm

When you open Revo, it will show your installed programs, much like add/remove programs.
Simply double-click the program you want to remove. You will now be given some choices
about how Revo should scan for leftover files. Choose Advanced for the most thorough scan.
When the program choosen have been uninstalled via its own uninstaller, Revo will scan for
leftover files. Then you will be presented by the leftover registry keyes (if any) and the next
is important; Do only delete keyes presented in bold text ! I can't stress this enough!!
Next you will be presented by remaining files if any, all those are safe to delete.
For programs that won't let you uninstall them, right-click the program, and choose force
uninstall.

When you use Revo Uninstaller, remove one program at a time, and wait like some time before
uninstalling the next. That way, you can determine if it have any impact on your computer's
performance, bad or good.

Disclaimer: Revo Uninstaller is a powerful tool. If you don't need it, don't use it. It can mess things
up if used incorrectly! If you want to use it, make a restore point and a registry backup before
using it. This tool shouldn't be used by Novice users.

As for Norton, download the Symantec removal tool:

http://service1.syma...005033108162039

Regards Abydos

8cimi

8cimi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
I asked from help of the g-ds and I think I finnaly received it, thank you abydos. I think I might do a whole system restore again. I mean I got the pc running pretty smooth, exept for some error windows that keep coming up everyother time and the pc still rebooting during certain updates or whatever, but thats not really bothering me, its the fact that I can not install this online game (silkroad online). The only things I do is surf the net, watch and listen stuff and play that game, and I can do all but the last, funny thing is in between one of the system recovery ( I did many) the game installed no problem, and I had not updated anything (to my best memory) or even uninstalled anything, but i guess I should stop talking here and post this problem in the game boared.