Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

avast! Virus Chest Question

• Please log in to reply

mpinsky

mpinsky

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
I recently went through my "virus chest" in avast! anti-virus and deleted all the infected files (I assumed they were safe to delete because my computer did not crash once they were quarantined). However, there are about four files under system files in my chest that are not marked as infected. Should I just leave them there or should I delete them too?

Thank you. :)

Edited by mpinsky, 10 February 2009 - 08:32 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Can you post names of those files?

mpinsky

mpinsky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Sure, Broni! :)

kernel32.dll
winsock.dll
wsock32.dll

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
You should leave stuff in quarantine. there is a reason they are put there in the first place

mpinsky

mpinsky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
*feels inherently stupid now*

I had always been told to delete my infected files (should I not have?) after a few days (and these I had a choice between deleting and quarantine), I was just wondering if the same went for these as well. Which leads me to a new question: When is it appropriate to delete what is in the virus chest?

*she will learn her lesson soon enough...hopefully* :)

Edited by mpinsky, 11 February 2009 - 04:09 PM.