Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista boot problems....

• Please log in to reply

Chris565

Chris565

• Pip
  • 3 posts
All of the sudden my machine won't boot without the Windows DVD in the drive. (Without the DVD) It gets past the post information, then I just have a blinking cursor at the top of the screen. (With the DVD) I can boot normally by skipping the option to boot from the disc.

I'm running Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP1. My relevant system specs: Intel E6600 CPU, 4gb Patriot RAM, (2) 320 GB SATA HDD's, HP SATA DVD Writer.

I've tried doing a system repair with the Windows DVD. It finds no errors, and rebuilding the BCD from the command prompt produces no results (I even rebuilt it from scratch, renaming the current one*.) The only thing that has changed on my machine is that I installed a Linksys Wireless-G adapter. Before that, everything was fine.

I'd appreciate any help with this. If you need more information, feel free to ask. Thanks in advance for any input!

*Note: Using bootrec found no Windows installations until I renamed the current BCD, so as to effectively fool the machine into thinking it was gone. It was then able to see the Windows installation, however, adding it to the boot record did not cure the problem.

Edited by Chris565, 10 February 2009 - 09:59 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

I installed a Linksys Wireless-G adapter

Do you mean physical, external card?

Chris565

Chris565

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It's a PCI card with an antenna.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I assume, there is something wrong with the card, or its driver.
Did you try System Restore to before the installation?

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Make sure the linksys card works with Vista 64-bit, check there site and see if there's any
firmware update for card or driver updates. If you take the card out then will vista bootup ok?

Dwight

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
What does the boot order in BIOS say?

Chris565

Chris565

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Make sure the linksys card works with Vista 64-bit, check there site and see if there's any
firmware update for card or driver updates. If you take the card out then will vista bootup ok?

Dwight

That's the winner. It says Vista compatible on the package, however it is not compatible with Vista 64. Looks like I'll have to return it and get something else. Thanks for the insight!

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Chris565, Glad I could help.

Dwight