Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE loads, Firefox won't

• Please log in to reply

rilee16

rilee16

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I turned on my roommate's computer this morning and when I tried to go online using the firefox browser I'd see the hourglass for a few seconds, and then nothing would happen. A browser window wouldn't even open up, so I couldn't even check to see if firefox was failing to connect to wireless.

IE opens up and works fine, and I checked to ensure the firewall wasn't blocking firefox's access.

I went into Application Data>Mozilla Firefox, saved the profile info on a flash drive, then deleted the info from the computer (in case one of the themes or something had been corrupted) and tried to open the browser, still didn't work.

I tried to open in Safe Mode, I saw the hourglass, then received the message that firefox was already open (it wasn't, I checked the task manager, the background running processes, it wasn't down as running) so I restarted the computer.

Then I uninstalled and reinstalled firefox 3.0.6; this time it asked me whether to put it as default browser and/or import settings from IE; when I answered no I saw the hourglass, and then nothing else happened.

I've been trying off and on all day, and it's still happening.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
You may need to perform clean install: http://kb.mozillazin...talling_Firefox

rilee16

rilee16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I had done that before, when I uninstalled/reinstalled. I tried it again, and it still isn't working. I have been wondering if it was a virus or adware or something, so I ran my latest version of AVG, and I ran my Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware. Nothing showed up on the virus scan, and the removal of the stuff that showed up on the Anti-Malware hasn't made firefox load.

After I had uninstalled firefox, I checked in my Program Files under Mozilla Firefox, and there was still the components folder; in it were a group of 8 files, all with the .js file type, that seemed strange. I had uninstalled, and deleted the firefox folders, but these files were still present. I thought it was possible that they were part of the problem, since the only program that doesn't seem to function is firefox.

The files are:
nsTaggingService.js
nsTryToClose.js
nsUpdateServise.js
nsURLClassifierLib.js
nsURLClassifierListManager.js
nsURLFormatter.js
nsWebHandlerApp.js
pluginGlue.js

I tried deleting them, but they were Read-Only.

I opened their Properties and unchecked the Read-Only option so I could delete them; the option seemed to apply, but when I tried to delete it wouldn't work. I went in to look at their properties again, and they were back to Read-Only.

I tried removing them through the FileASSASSIN tool in Malwarebyte's, got the pop-up that deletion was successful, but when I opened up the components file again they were still present.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

I had done that before, when I uninstalled/reinstalled.
After I had uninstalled firefox, I checked in my Program Files under Mozilla Firefox

...which lets me believe, you didn't check/follow my link at all.

rilee16

rilee16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

I had done that before, when I uninstalled/reinstalled.
After I had uninstalled firefox, I checked in my Program Files under Mozilla Firefox

...which lets me believe, you didn't check/follow my link at all.

You think I didn't follow the link because there was still a Firefox folder? I did, and I followed the instructions, step by step, but for some reason there was still a folder there. Unless you posted the wrong link, I was supposed to go here < http://kb.mozillazin...talling_Firefox >, and follow the instructions, which were:

Open Windows Contol Panel, Add/Remove Programs, click Firefox, run uninstaller. Delete firefox installation directory; there was only the components file in it, that included the files I names in my last reply. I always have the View Hidden Files option enabled, and I deleted them for, deleted firefox folder under local settings, deleted prefetch files, ensure all firefox shortcuts had been removed by the program, set new default browser.

Then, as there were no more instructions after that, I reinstalled firefox, new download and everything. In fact, I tried it and attempted to get the browser to load 3 separate times before I replied to say I was still having problems, just in case I had missed a step the first time.

Did you actually read my response, or did you get to the part you quoted and decide to stop reading? I listed 8 files that, for some reason, were not deleting as I performed the uninstall. I included the names of those files, and exactly what I did to try to get rid of them, thinking that the fact that they remained might be pertinent to the problem and hoping that it would help.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You may try again.
To remove those stubborn files...
Download, and install Unlocker: http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/
It'll install under right click menu.

rilee16

rilee16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Okay, I downloaded the unlocker and loaded it. I tried right-clicking to unlock the files individually, and the components folder they are in. Instead of unlocking I got a message saying that no locking handle was found; there were rename, move, and delete options. I couldn't delete, but I could move the components folder to my desktop. I tried unlocking it there, and my computer slowed way down, to the point I had to reboot.

And now I am starting to have problems with the computer slowing down during word processing, and with IE7 not working correctly; it loads and I can go to websites, but I can't right-click>open new tab and have the link load, and in some cases I try clicking directly on a link and it won't load, and I have to copy shortcut>paste into the address bar to get it to work. I'm at the point that I think I have some kind of malware or something, should I do a Hijackthis log and post in the Malware Removal - HiJackThis™ Logs Go Here area?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'd go for it.