Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Call of duty 4 Video card

• Please log in to reply

excalibar

excalibar

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I cant run Call of duty 4 due to my graphics card being too low (Radeon 9250, requires radeon 9700 or better)

So i would be very happy if you guys could Tell me some video cards that would be good for Call of Duty 4 and better.

System Specs:
Windows: Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer: 7.0.5730.13
Memory (RAM): 2046 MB
CPU Info: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.80GHz
CPU Speed: 2789.5 MHz
Sound card: SoundMAX Digital Audio
Display Adapters: RADEON 9250 | Intel® 82865G Graphics Controller | RADEON 9250 - Secondary | LogMeIn Mirror Driver | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD
Monitors: 1
Screen Resolution: 1024 X 768 - 32 bit
Network: Network Present
Network Adapters: Linksys Wireless-G USB Network Adapter #5 - Packet Scheduler Miniport | Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection - Packet Scheduler Miniport | Hamachi Network Interface #2 | Hamachi Network Interface - Packet Scheduler Miniport
CD / DVD Drives: D: TSSTcorpCDRWDVD TS-H492C | M: MagicISOVirtual DVD-ROM
COM Ports: COM1
LPT Ports: LPT1
Mouse: 5 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 33.8GB | F: 465.8GB
Hard Disks - Free: C: 9.4GB | F: 319.7GB
USB Controllers: 4 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): Not Detected
PCMCIA (Laptops): Not Installed
Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
Product Make: Dimension 3000
AC Power Status: OnLine
BIOS Info: AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 11/08/04 | DELL - 8
Time Zone: Pacific Standard Time
Battery: No Battery
Motherboard: Dell Computer Corp. 0R8060
Modem: Not detected

Your suggestions will be appreciated.

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hi,

I've checked the specifications of your PC and it appears your motherboard doesn't support AGP or PCI-Express cards, it's PCI only. PCI has been dead for video cards for a long time, AGP has mostly followed suit.

Basically you're just not going to be able to run COD4 on this computer without changing the motherboard.
Some websites do still have compatible motherboards but add that cost to the cost of a decent AGP graphics card
and you have to start wondering whether it's worth spending money on a PC as old as yours. In my opinion is not worth spending the money, it would be much better to save your money and get a newer PC.

excalibar

excalibar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Do you have any suggestions on a new computer with a modest price?

EDIT: I would also prefer them to be Dell considering I can get a discount on Dell computers.

Edited by excalibar, 11 February 2009 - 11:00 PM.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
What is a modest price for you?

excalibar

excalibar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
A modest price for me would be anywhere around 0 - 2000 dollars. If there is something else that you recommend that is out of my price range then suggest that too.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Well there's the XPS 630 that comes with SLi/Crossfire cards, 8GB RAM, Vista 64 and no monitor. The setup can be customised to a certain extent as with most Dells.

Maybe the 730x with the new Intel I7 Quad core processor in, again customisable.

Have a look around the Dell store, customise some systems.

excalibar

excalibar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I think I am going to go with the XPS 630 like you suggested. I got hooked on the amount of ram and disk space. Considering mine only has 32g, 500 gigabytes of space is a shocker. Thankyou Zeus Gb for aiding me on my search. :) You have been a great help on choosing a new computer for me.

Holkeye

Holkeye

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
You could save a lot of money if you just build it yourself, and you can choose the best parts, too. I built mine at newegg for $800, monitor included.