Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

changing fan on motherboard

• Please log in to reply

ss4elby

ss4elby

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
OK the fan on my motherboard is dying out....i have a duel core processor. I bought a universal pc fan by rocketfish said it works with most intel and amd boards. I took the board out getting ready to install. Removed the old one and got the new one put together to slide it in then tighten the bolts onm the back. The problem is i cant slide the screws in the holes the holes are screw holes and on the back of the motherboard is a metal t shaped plate thing. So i cant install this fan. When i removed the old one it was just 4 screws then off the big black pascitc fan and heatsink came off. Does the plate and screw holes come out? Or is this a hopeless venture for me. I cant say what motherboard i have i only know it came with a Pavillion a1623w.

Oh also this fan does have a heatsink but its copper under it with little...tubes.

Oh...i found a link from the manufacturer this is my mobo http://h10025.www1.h...n...257&lang=en

Edited by ss4elby, 10 February 2009 - 11:46 PM.

Advertisements

ss4elby

ss4elby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
No one has an idea?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Your motherboard is socket 775, so any heatsink/fan marked as compatible with this socket will work. If it doesn't look like it's going to work properly, it may be that there's a particular bracket installed on the underside of the motherboard. You will need to remove the motherboard from the case to get this bracket out, before you install the new one.

(read: big job).

Troy

ss4elby

ss4elby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey thanks for the reply :) i have taken the board out. Theres this metal...thing on the back shaped like a T thats getting in the way of putting the new fan in. It seems attached so didnt wanna force it out. Is it supposed to be there or do i need to remove it and maybe provide pics. The fan says its compatible with 775 so it should be good to go.

ss4elby

ss4elby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

(read: big job).

What did you mean by that?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Well seeing as you've already got the motherboard out, you're half-way there. That's what I meant by a big job.

Can you take a photo of this bracket?

ss4elby

ss4elby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey thanks for the replay again i had to take it back out to take pics lol hopefully i will only have to do it one more time. I took the best i could so i took 3 to make sure you could see it good.

http://i231.photobuc...rl/100_1506.jpg

http://i231.photobuc...rl/100_1507.jpg

http://i231.photobuc...rl/100_1509.jpg

The 4 things in each corner arew the screws holding the old fan in. When i unscrew them out it leaves screw holes instead of the holes i need to slide it in. Does the metal thing come off if so will that fix my problem?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I'm not sure how you'd do it, but that bracket should be able to come off. If you can't work it out, take it in to a local computer shop, hopefully they'll take it off for you for a few dollars.

ss4elby

ss4elby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey thanks for all your help wanted to let you know i did it. The bracket was glued on the back i had to pry it off slowly with a flathead. once it came out everything else went smoothly.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
That's great, I'll try and remember it for next time.

Cheers