Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No sound, and the speakers work

• Please log in to reply

computer newbie

computer newbie

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello all,

I recently had to reinstall Windows XP because my computer had the blue screen with the Stop Error, reinstalled all of the other software and the audio driver however there is no computer sounds coming from the speakers. I use these speakers regularly so they work. Please help!

I have a Dell Dimension E310 with the Sigmatel Audio Driver which I downloaded from the Dell website. I tried to uninstall and reinstall the drivers, but still no sound.

Thanks for your help! :)

Edited by computer newbie, 11 February 2009 - 12:40 AM.

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts
Hi,

Do any devices with yellow exclamation marks or red crosses appear in device manager?

To check this, right click My Computer > click properties > click hardware > click device manager.

computer newbie

computer newbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Yes, 2 devices have the yellow exclamation point, the PCI modem and the Universal Serial Bus (USB) controller.

computer newbie

computer newbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ok, I just uninstalled those 2 devices and restarted the computer, they were reinstalled when the computer booted up. I checked the volume control, still no sound, and I checked the device manager for yellow exclamation marks and there are none.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts
Did you install the chipset drivers?

If you didn't, install the chipset drivers as well the modem drivers available on the Dell support site. After that try installing the sound driver again.

I suppose it's also possible that the sound driver requires one of the XP service packs installing, try installing XP service pack 2 or 3 and see if that works.

computer newbie

computer newbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I already installed service pack 3 when I reinstalled XP. I tried installing the chipset drivers then I uninstalled/reinstalled the sound drivers, still no sound. :)

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I believe, with Sigmatel, you need to install Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio: http://drivers.softp...ion-Audio.shtml, first.

computer newbie

computer newbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello Broni,

I installed the driver from the link, then I uninstalled/reinstalled the audio drivers. I checked the volume control, I still have no system sounds.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

If you didn't, install the chipset drivers

computer newbie

computer newbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I already have the chipset drivers installed.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Dead sound chip? You may need to buy a sound card.

Edited by Broni, 12 February 2009 - 06:51 PM.

computer newbie

computer newbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello guys,

Thanks for all of your help, I unplugged the sound card and plugged it back in, booted the computer up and now the sound works :) . I didn't want to go and purchase another sound card, lol. Now I know what to do for next time.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Computer miracles, huh? :)