Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

laptop power problems

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a HP Pavilion ZE4700 CTO notebook running Windows XP SP3. The problem I'm having is the notebook does not receive any power when it is plugged in and the battery is removed.

1.New power supply
2.New Battery
3.New Motherboard and processor

I have been using this notebook for about 2 years. In the last six months I have been experiencing Instantaneous power loss. This was happening about 5 min after windows booted up. The only way to get it to power up after it died was to reinsert the battery. My first Guess was the power supply, I thought maybe it wasn't charging my battery so for $90 I bought a new one. When that didn't work I started reading forums and web pages from people experiencing similar problems. From what I read I was sure it was the motherboard so another $150 and I'm still in the same spot. Now I'm pot committed so a new battery was next. Well today I got my battery and now everything seems to work fine except the battery just masked the problem. My old battery was the reason it would only last 5 minutes, now I get about 4 hours. However I still cannot run my notebook on AC power alone, which I was able to do this before the problem started.

P.S. here are some other things that may help with the diagnosis

1.battery charges fine
2.motherboard I bought has the same numbers on it (dakt3dmb6b6) but was from a Compaq Presario 2100
3. the motherboard is missing some features that were not available with the Presario 2100 (ie. IEEE 1394 fire wire port, and the port replicator connector)
4.notebook will run on battery power alone or AC power with the battery inserted
5.windows power meter (in the taskbar) displays everything correctly, (says charging when plugged in, or running on battery power when not plugged in)

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated thanks