Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't install a piece of Software that is reliant on .Net Framewor

• Please log in to reply

CainUllah

CainUllah

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi,

I have a piece of software (Native Instruments - Traktor) that I am trying to install on my Laptop. The laptop is a work machine but I have permission to install whatever I like (as long as it is legally licensed), have administrative rights on the machine and have had some initial help from my IS department to try and help me out.

The problem occurred when some changes happened to do with a merger of two companies. My laptop had to go through a process where its domain was changed (My username went from cain.ullah to ullahc), it had a piece of Software called Cisco Systems installed (which behaves as a firewall) and a registry hack installed so that despite the fact my login is now ullahc, the user folder in documents and settings is still cain.ullah (This assists with syncronising with the old filestores of the previous company).

Traktor was previously installed and working. As soon my laptop went through the changes it stopped working. I unistalled it and re-installed it but now the install isn't even working properly. I phoned Native Instruments support with regard to this issues and they informed me that during the install a Native Instruments\Traktor folder structure should be created in the My Documents folder. This was not being created and the only time they have ever seen this before is if the .Net Framework 2.0 or higher is not installed properly.

I found a few problems with the .Net Framework so removed all traces of it and re-installed each iteration up to 3.5 SP1. This however has not helped the issue. I have installed the latest chipset drivers, BIOS drivers (Dell Latitude D830) and upgraded to Windows Installer 4.5 all to no avail.

My IS Support team haven't looked into it in a great amount of detail but are at a loss as to why it should occur. As I said as far as they are concerned the changes shouldn't inhibit me installing anything and they can't understand why it is occurring. I haven't had any other troubles installing other programs although no other programs I am trying to install seem to be dependent on the .Net Framework so I can't narrow the problem down to the .Net Framework itself. At first I believed the reason this was happening was because my permissions had been removed after the change but my the IS team inform me that this is not the case.

Some of the .Net developers in the company have also experienced some problems and have reverted to now using a VM to work on.

I have run process Monitor to see if I can find anything meaningful but can't identify what the problem is.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated as it is frustrating me greatly. I will have to fork out a couple of grand on a new laptop otherwise.

Kind Regards
Cain

Edited by CainUllah, 11 February 2009 - 07:52 AM.

Advertisements