Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

What is Microsoft SQL Server 2005?

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
About 3 weeks ago I installed a 60 day free trial version of Microsoft Office Professional 2007 on my wife's computer. She wanted to try it out before actually purchasing the software. Well, she liked it a lot and we did purchase the basic Microsoft Office 2007 suite (Word, Excel, Power Point, and One Note) yesterday.
This morning I uninstalled the trial version and it was kind of a headache (took two attempts), but as I was doing so I noticed in Add/Remove Programs the following:

Microsoft SQL Server 2005
Microsoft SQL Server Native Client
Microsoft SQL Server Setup Support Files (English)
Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer

I don't remember these items being installed on this computer prior to the installation of the free trial. I'm just curious if these items were required downloads/installations in order for the free trial and/or software to work, or is this something different altogether?

I did a little checking on Google to determine what exactly Microsoft SQL Server 2005 does. Near as I can tell, it's a program that allows you to set up notifications to other devices such as PDA's, cell phone, etc. That's not something I would ever use. So, is it safe to remove all of these items, or should I just let well enough alone and leave them?

Thanks,

Greg

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
SQL Server comes with Office and Visual Studio, as it's partly used for Microsoft Access and you can feed it various things through programming languages like C++ and what not. It can be removed and it's a free download anyway if you do need it again.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

SQL Server comes with Office and Visual Studio, as it's partly used for Microsoft Access and you can feed it various things through programming languages like C++ and what not. It can be removed and it's a free download anyway if you do need it again.

Thanks Neil!