Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No POST/ No Video - Order Which Components Go Through POST?

• Please log in to reply

arh2o

arh2o

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi guys, quick question for you all: Just finished a new build, and I'm getting no beeps at post and no video output.

I stripped my system down to 1 memory module, CPU, and CPU Fan.

• With memory in, there are NO beeps.
  • Without memory, it successfully gives me the no memory beep.
  • With the 4pin CPU 12v UNPLUGGED and NO memory - NO beep.
  • With the 4pin CPU PLUGGED in and with NO memory - There IS a beep.

The motherboard is fine. I just replaced it 2 times. Plus the fact that it beeps when there's no RAM in, makes me think it's fine as well. Rule out the mobo.

So is it:

1.) RAM – With the RAM installed i get no beeps. With no RAM i get beeps.

2.) CPU – It is producing some warmth. It gets mildly warm after powering on for 2 minutes. Could it still be defective?

3.) Power supply – The PSU fans remain on and it's running my case fans, my video card fans, and its blue light stay on. Could it be a faulty PSU?

Or maybe the CPU? I heard if there's no beep then it might be a dead CPU. However if I'm getting the no-ram beep then is my CPU ok?

What's the order that the post goes through? Is my CPU passing and the RAM defective?

Unfortunately this is my only desktop so I can't test components.

Mobo is Asus P5QL Pro, CPU is Intel Q9400, PSU is Rosewill Stallion Series RD500-2DB 500W, RAM is Mushkin 996587

Thanks in advance.

Edited by arh2o, 11 February 2009 - 10:57 AM.

Advertisements

sync0s

sync0s

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
My first assumption would be bad memory being that when the memory is in you have the problem.. but i'm no expert. I found this A+ certification training page that will help you out with this issue A+ Hardware