Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer freezes at startup

• Please log in to reply

tqhelp

tqhelp

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Dear all,

I have a Dell Dimension 3000 that freezes when the windows XP logo and progress bar come up.

I have no idea what to do.

Any advice would be warmly welcomed.

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Can you boot to Safe Mode? To do this, reboot the computer. When it first starts, start pressing the F8 key repeatedly. This will bring you to the "Advanced Startup Options" menu. Use your arrow keys to scroll to the top of the list and select Safe Mode. Press enter, and see if you can get into Windows from there. If you can, try rebooting to Normal Mode and trying to get in to Windows again.

tqhelp

tqhelp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your response.

I have managed to get into safemode, and back up some documents to a USB stick.

But still won't boot windows normally. The blue progress bar just freezes. I have left it for several hour, hoping that it may all of a sudden continue, but had no such luck!

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Ok...Do you have the original Windows CD? If so, please boot to the Recovery Console.

You can do this by doing the following:
  • Enter the BIOS (usually F1, F2, or Delete) and check and make sure that the Boot Sequence is set to boot to the CD first. You can do this by navigating around with the arrow keys until you find the Boot Sequence. Every BIOS is different, you'll have to look and see if you can find it.
  • Once you have set the Boot Sequence to boot to the CD, put the Windows CD in the drive and reboot the computer. When it says "Press Any Key to boot to the CD," press a key.
  • The Windows setup will now load. Once it loads, please press "R" to enter the Recovery Console.
  • It will ask which installation you want to log in to. Any Windows installations will be listed numerically. You want the one that says "C:\Windows." Press the number corresponding with "C:\Windows" and press "Enter."
  • Type any Administrator Password. If there is no password, press "Enter."

You should now see a command prompt that says "C:Windows" At the command prompt, type
Chkdsk /r
and press "Enter." This will now check the hard disk for errors and attempt to repair them. Once it finishes, type "Exit" and reboot the computer. Report back here what happens.

tqhelp

tqhelp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
sorry for the delay in replying

I have just done as suggested, the scan completed and said that an error has been identified and repaired, but unfortunately on reboot the same thing happened!

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Ok...Chkdsk is not a complete repair tool, but sometimes it fixes enough errors to make a computer bootable...

I'm going to have you try a Repair Install of Windows. To do this, please follow all the above steps until the Windows setup gets to the screen where you pressed "R." Instead of launching the RC, press "Enter" to set up Windows. Follow the steps that the setup gives you, until you come to the screen that gives you an option to repair an installation of Windows. PRESS R TO REPAIR. DO NOT PRESS ESC!!! This will start a repair install and you should just be able to let it sit. At some point you will need to enter your information, and possibly a product key depending on the brand of computer you have. Let me know if it works!