Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My USB ports arent working

• Please log in to reply

luis555

luis555

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I've had this computer for years and it works great, a couple days ago, i tried to plug in a simple memory stick and a bubble from the taskbar came up saying "USB Device not Recognized One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows Does not recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem, click this messege."

And ever since then, everytime i plug in something to my USB ports, it'll come up saying the same thing, ive tried with my printer, my camera and my external harddrive, all of which i use all the time and it says the same thing for all of them.

when i click on the bubble, its not much use, all it does is bring up a list of my USB ports and it shows whatever device i have plugged in as "Unknown Device" and it just tells me to try plugging it in again and if it still doesnt work to replace the device. and it says this for all of the USB ports that i try plugging it into.

the only 2 devices that are working are the ones that were plugged in at the time when i first started getting the error messege, which is my webcam and my mouse, and im affraid to unplug them and then they wont work either when i plug them back on

ive tried updating my USB port drivers and it says it has the latest version, same with my motherboard

so here is my system info, im hoping i can get some help, thanks

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name LUIS-71CBF2446D
System Manufacturer SiS
System Model GE PRO-M2.
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2375 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P2.60, 5/25/2004
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name LUIS-71CBF2446D\Administrator
Time Zone Pacific Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 559.66 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.28 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Edited by luis555, 11 February 2009 - 11:16 PM.

Advertisements

sync0s

sync0s

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
First, make sure that the USB device is enabled, and wasn't disabled by something else..

Enabling USB Device
  • Click 'Start'
  • Click 'Control Panel'
  • Click 'System', then select the 'Hardware' tab
  • Click 'Device Manager' button
  • Find your USB device (Mine is under Universal Serial Bus Controllers section, I don't know if it's always there or not) and right click and select 'Properties'
  • In the drop-down box on the bottom of the dialog, make sure it says 'Use this device (enabled)', if doesn't enable it and click 'Ok' (Make sure all instances for USB are enabled)

If this doesn't work, there still could be a couple of reasons. If you can't find your USB device at all, you may need to download your USB driver. Try it out, and let us know

luis555

luis555

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
i checked that already and yea its enabled, it just shows as "unknown device"
and this is a simple plug and play external harddrive, it didnt even come with an installation cd, and as for my printer, it tells me the same thing, that it is an "unknown device"

i tried last night uninstalling the USB ports so that they would get installed again and that didnt work either.

i have the latest updates from windows and my drivers for the motherboard and the USB ports. im really stuck on this one

sync0s

sync0s

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Just doing some research on the issue and it raises an interesting question. Are the USB ports on the front, or the back of your tower? My reason for asking is if they are in the front it could possibly be that the connector came loose. Otherwise double check your motherboard and go to the manufacturer and make sure you have the right USB drivers.

Refer to this forum here

Edited by sync0s, 12 February 2009 - 10:06 PM.

luis555

luis555

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
its actually both, theres 2 on the front and 4 on the back, and they all give me the same problem

luis555

luis555

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
soo.... anybody have any suggestions??

phottomatt

phottomatt

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Actully its way to easy. I had the same problem what worked for me was this, power down the computer, unplug the power supply and wait 30 seconds re-attach power and power it up, thats it. :)